Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 52 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-28-2006, 07:57 AM   #511
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Normal people get 30mpg on your car, that's just how it is!
I agree with SVOboy, Dan. Most people think that the EPA numbers are overinflated, but you simply destroyed those numbers. I would say that the biggest part of your FE numbers is from your driving style.

If you start hitting similar percentages in the VX that will be truly amazing.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:13 AM   #512
*shrug*

70% over 50mpg is...

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #513
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95metro
I agree with SVOboy, Dan. Most people think that the EPA numbers are overinflated, but you simply destroyed those numbers. I would say that the biggest part of your FE numbers is from your driving style.

If you start hitting similar percentages in the VX that will be truly amazing.
I have had this discussion before with MetroMPG. We have hypothesized that the high FE models are optimized such that it would be much more difficult to exceed EPA estimates than with non FE models. For example, the VX motor has less internal friction and has a lower idle speed to save fuel. IIRC that article I posted said that it was good for 3-5%. Well that shows up in the EPA numbers accordingly. But with CODfishing, both the FE and non FE cars realize the same benefit so the non FE car will get better % over EPA because it's EPA numbers didnt go up.

Capish?

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #514
*shrug*

Indeed, but the vx also has things like leanburn that can be abused to no end while the car is on! And besides that, you'll figure something out,
Old 06-28-2006, 08:36 AM   #515
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Indeed, but the vx also has things like leanburn that can be abused to no end while the car is on! And besides that, you'll figure something out,
You are beginning to sound like Phil!

Anyway I am a little concerned that for some reason the lean burn won't work after 130k miles. Maybe the O2 sensors need to be replaced? Anyway, is lean burn purely mechanical via the valvetrain or is there another interaction with the O2 sensors and / or ECU?

I have already been thinking about how to abuse lean burn, driving in a similar manner as when I drove the Insight at the TDS. But my good FE now comes from EOC downhill and normal uphill driving. Unless I can maintain lean burn up a hill, I don't see much difference possible. But the real diff will be on the highway by a PLB technique (Pulse & Lean Burn). I doubt that lean burn will be able to maintain 55MPH. But a pulse up to 65 and lean burn down to 50 may have potential. We shall see.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #516
*shrug*

Only one o2 sensor. Anyway, lean burn is a completely electrical thing. You'll just have to see, it's a touchy system, at best.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:49 AM   #517
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
I have had this discussion before with MetroMPG. We have hypothesized that the high FE models are optimized such that it would be much more difficult to exceed EPA estimates than with non FE models. For example, the VX motor has less internal friction and has a lower idle speed to save fuel. IIRC that article I posted said that it was good for 3-5%. Well that shows up in the EPA numbers accordingly. But with CODfishing, both the FE and non FE cars realize the same benefit so the non FE car will get better % over EPA because it's EPA numbers didnt go up.

Capish?
True, I've noted MetroMPG's statements to that effect, but even he is 40% over EPA now in an FE car. So, going by the VX's EPA rating...(why are there two ratings on the EPA site? Is the lower the CA model?) you are looking at a 51.5 mpg average.

10% = 56.65 mpg
20% = 61.8 mpg
30% = 66.95 mpg (there's your Del Sol numbers)
40% = 72.1 mpg
50% = 77.25 mpg

Personally I think you'll be hitting 70 mpg pretty quickly. Maybe add some aeromods to shoot you into the 80s...??? You're not giving yourself enough credit man! lol
Old 06-28-2006, 08:57 AM   #518
Driving on E

If Basjoos can get 60+ MPG in his CX (it's a CX, right?) then there is no reason you shoudn't be able to get 60-70mpg with the right aero mods.

use that extra $2k and buy a one piece front end (hood, fenders). you'll have no seams at all!

Good luck however getting access to the engine for any routine maintenance.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:03 AM   #519
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
...Unless I can maintain lean burn up a hill, I don't see much difference possible. But the real diff will be on the highway by a PLB technique (Pulse & Lean Burn). I doubt that lean burn will be able to maintain 55MPH. But a pulse up to 65 and lean burn down to 50 may have potential. We shall see.
Driving the Insight, if it's a fair comparison, will hold lean burn up to about 53 mph. On straight level roads. If a tail-wind is helping, 55mph is doable.

But lean burn has different levels. What I'm speaking of is holding 53 mph while maintaining 90-100 mpg on the iFCD.

It will also hold 60 mph at a lower lean burn level, maybe something like 75 mpg, which feels like the lower end of the lean burn "window".

And it will hold lean burn up a hill, you just watch the speed drop off

Regards,
hawkgt647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:04 AM   #520
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
If Basjoos can get 60+ MPG in his CX (it's a CX, right?) then there is no reason you shoudn't be able to get 60-70mpg with the right aero mods.

use that extra $2k and buy a one piece front end (hood, fenders). you'll have no seams at all!

Good luck however getting access to the engine for any routine maintenance.
I wasn't aware of a one piece front end? Where can I find one? I wonder how much weight savings that would be? The VX is already 200lb less than the Del Sol.