Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 64 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #631
Registered Member

Dax has one for me so no prob. I snagged a brand new main fuel relay on ebay for $33.33 shipped. I'm afraid to buy a used one cause used relays suck more than I do. And you know how much I suck. I suck mightily.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #632
*shrug*

Man, I'm not even going to buy one, I'm just going to try to fix my old one sometime tonight, evidently the solder points just wear out from the abuse of starting thecar for years and years.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #633
Registered Member

I just got 50mpg for 70% highway driving yesterday. I thought I'd post it here because my intro thread is kind of a dumb place.

Pure city is more like 31mpg.

Very little EOC, maybe only once or twice. I do turn the engine off at stoplights though.

I imagine I can do better than 50mpg for a pure highway segment.

I think that there is a lot of potential for this car once I start aero-modding it. Relatively small frontal area, ease of putting a boattail on it (just bolt it on the back of the car), tiny engine (660cc) should hold its efficiency well much better than a larger one at low load.
Mighty Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #634
*shrug*

What's the thing weigh again? You need a tach, sir! I wanna know your rpms at highway velocity.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:26 PM   #635
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
What's the thing weigh again? You need a tach, sir! I wanna know your rpms at highway velocity.
I think it's about 600-700kg, or 1500lbs at a guess. I really need to get the thing weighed. And yes, I'd certainly like to know the highway rpms as well.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #636
*shrug*

I imagine you have a pretty short transmission, but who know. What's your highway speed?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #637
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I imagine you have a pretty short transmission, but who know. What's your highway speed?
On that stretch, maximum of 62mph (100kph). Although, on that "highway" stretch, it was mostly 70-80kph, or 43-49mph, with a few red lights.

I imagine I can do better than that given a real live proper highway.

It feels like it isn't doing that much work at 90kph. When it gets up to 100kph and above, it feels like it is revving. Once I get my aero mods done, I am sure that it will feel like it is loafing along at that speed and I will need to get wheels/diff to go with it.

That's part of the problem with measuring straight mpg after performing mods. For example, after outfitting the car with every aero mod under the sun and lrr tyres, a switch to higher gearing will make the gearing look artificially good. Anyway.

I think that there is good potential for making a car like mine into an FE beastie, after looking at airplanes. It's handy that it is both short and that the engine is in the front, and it is a relatively smooth curve to the top and at the front. If I can fair the wheels and the undercarriage effectively, that takes care of the front of it. It's then only a matter of being able to extend the back far enough to make the boattail work.

I wonder how much the boattail will weigh. I figure that it won't be able to come back to a point, for one I need my license visible. I will need some perspex or something similar so that the lights at the back are visible to anyone. Also, I'd like to be able to see out the back so that will need to be perspex or something I can see out of anyway.

But if it's not load bearing, then it should be able to be really light, like hopefully less than 100kg.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #638
Registered Member

Test loop runs today

I made two test loop runs today in the Civic. I posted it at Cleanmpg. Have been chatting with Wayne about things over there concerning this.

Heres a link http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...=7526#post7526

I hope you enjoy it.

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #639
FE nut

I made a pretty good run earlier today. My grandfather replaced his car yesterday. It ended up being nearly a twin to my now dead Saturn. I found him a '97 Saturn SL with 157,484 miles on it for $2500 and it was only 1 1/2 hours away. The only difference between his car and mine is that his has power steering; color is the same too. Anyway, after transferring the nearly new tires from my car to his and installing my hotter(195 degree) thermostat, the Halo plugs, the Splitfire Dual Core Wires, and the IAT sensor mod, I went for a run on my short course of just under 5 miles and the Scanguage reported 63.5 mpg by the time I pulled into my driveway. I know this is a very short course but, with my car, I was able to get 4-5 mpg higher than that. The good news is that I will be driving this car while I await the arrival of my newly purchased '99 SL2.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #640
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack
I made two test loop runs today in the Civic. I posted it at Cleanmpg. Have been chatting with Wayne about things over there concerning this.

Heres a link http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showt...=7526#post7526

I hope you enjoy it.

psy
Ok, but what is ICE and what is FAS?

cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote