Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 70 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2006, 07:34 AM   #691
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick
found a way to use secondary roads to cut that down to just 38mi daily.
That's quite a short-cut! Nice.

Quote:
It's going to be a very tough nut to crack because I'm going from 95% highway driving (not terribly complicated from the standpoint of technique) to roughly 70% rural back roads from stop sign to stop sign, which requires much more effort to maximize.
But if you grab the "technique bull" by the horns, I'd wager the opportunities on the rural route could lead to better overall results.

Depending on demands of traffic, I find rural driving with stop signs spaced far enough apart is where I get the best mileage, since speed is lower (reduced aero penalty), and the stop signs afford more of an opportunity to FAS/CODfish.

Brick, does your SG stay active in your Accord when you kill the engine?

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:02 AM   #692
Registered Member

[quote=MetroMPG]
Depending on demands of traffic, I find rural driving with stop signs spaced far enough apart is where I get the best mileage, since speed is lower (reduced aero penalty), and the stop signs afford more of an opportunity to FAS/CODfish.

Metro do you have any estimates of the % advantage of EOC as opposed to coasting in N but killing the engine at lights? Looks like over 30% from your gaslogs but don't know if you were killing the engine at lights.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:55 AM   #693
Registered Member

The closest info I have to that is coasting with the engine idling in N vs. CODfishing. I did a suburban/urban loop and noted a 12.9% improvement from the fishies.

Coasting experiment: engine on VS engine off on a fixed route.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #694
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
The closest info I have to that is coasting with the engine idling in N vs. CODfishing. I did a suburban/urban loop and noted a 12.9% improvement from the fishies.

Coasting experiment: engine on VS engine off on a fixed route.
Thanks. Good info
Old 07-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #695
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I haven't tried coasting with the engine off in my xB but did notice that with the ignition on but engine not started the ScangaugeII turns off after a short time. I only burn fuel at 0.2 - 0.1 GPH at idle so leaving the engine running saves wear and tear at this point I don't want to mess with it but I would like the injectors to stop firing all the time when they are not needed. It does seem that I am hitting the MPG wall at this point - time for some aero mods!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:35 AM   #696
Registered Member

From my limited experience with back road driving, I have to concur that the potential for higher FE is there. There's a 6-mile route that I take from time to time through stop lights, turns, hills, etc. that provides the best FE I have ever seen (45mpg+ round trip from a cold start). LS P&G (codfishing) is the way to go. I'm planning to give it a shot this afternoon now that I've seen the route, and just hope that traffic doesn't nix that plan.

As for the ScanGauge: Yes, it does stay active when I kill the engine. It's set to hybrid mode, which does the trick quite nicely. Accuracy remains pretty good even with frequent engine killing.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #697
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Hey ZugyNA, how come you don't keep a Gaslog for your vehicle(s)?
Here is one....

The green arrow indicates when I started to use acetone and an FA2000. The vaporizer didn't do much for mpg cause it either was putting raw gas in or was shut off too avoid this....though it does include a small PCV jar.

I was doing worse than the previous year...so decided to try acetone. Probably was driving a little slower too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300ZX MPG Chart75.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	16  

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #698
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugyNA
Here is one....

The green arrow indicates when I started to use acetone and an FA2000. The vaporizer didn't do much for mpg cause it either was putting raw gas in or was shut off too avoid this....though it does include a small PCV jar.

I was doing worse than the previous year...so decided to try acetone. Probably was driving a little slower too.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:54 PM   #699
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
That is prolly the best approach, whatever is the closest engine/tranny combo that you have today. Someone should remind SVOboy to do the same.
Damn you, I worked hard to kill the epa and I'll show it off until my dying day. As far as I'm concerned I'm still driving a crx dx auto with a bit of work on it,

Anyway, the odometer on the police interceptor doesn't work, so no updates from out here, but I'm sure it sucks, because no matter how high you blast the A/C nothing can beat 120 degree heat indices.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:20 AM   #700
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Damn you, I worked hard to kill the epa and I'll show it off until my dying day. As far as I'm concerned I'm still driving a crx dx auto with a bit of work on it,
I see that you you sucked it up and did the right thing. You will be back above EPA combined in no time. I went from 80% down to 20% just by changing cars. This kinda confirms the theory that Metro and i were discussing about EPA numbers and high FE cars.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote