Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 92 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2006, 10:59 AM   #911
FE nut

I couldn't post any results yesterday because my satelite ISP was out due to the weather. The segments were: 58.2 to the wife's work, 56.8 from her work to mine, 59.7 from my work to her's in the afternoon, and 57.9 from her work back home. It was generally rainy all day; not real hard but just enough to screw up the FE. Today was a little better. The segments were 56.6 to the wife's work, 66.1 to mine, 60.6 back to the wife's, and 60.3 back to home. The tank average is sitting at just over 58 mpg.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #912
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketel0ne
I have 2 scangauges. Trust me, I am coasting for almost 10 miles of 52 mile commute.
And you only get 37mpg?? I just got 44 mpg coming back from PA in the rain with lights on most of the way. Just a little below half a tank for 312 miles without correcting for the 3% odometer error.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #913

My commute includes a mountain, a 13 mile stretch of 65mph, 20 mile stretch of 55mph, several toll plazas and a 12 mile stretch of stop and go highway rush hour followed by some local building to building stop light traffic everyday. All I can really do is keep slowing down. I get 10 (5 each way) chances a week to improve it. I fill up about every 3-4 days. You guys see every gallon that goes through the Yaris in the gaslog, the good the bad and the ugly.
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:45 PM   #914
FE nut

I just hit another new best segment. I picked my daughter up at her school after her volleyball game and I told her we were going to go the back way and see if we could set a new record. In 5.3 miles, the SG2 was reading 75.1 MPG after I got turned around in the drive. When I turned into the drive it was over 77. My tank is sitting at 59.4 after 86.5 miles. 60 MPG ? Very possible. I almost forgot, the trip to pick her up came in at 65.2.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:02 PM   #915
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
And you only get 37mpg??
Notice ketel's also working with an automatic - meaning he's got fewer arrows to pull from his hypermiling quiver than you/we do. The trend in the gaslog is headed in the right direction, and that's what matters.

Larry: impressive work!
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #916
Registered Member

ketel0ne
Yeah that makes sense then but what is your GPH when idle - if it doesn't get down to 0.1gph then you need more breaking in. Every red light I hit cost me a half to 1 MPG on a medium length trip. Got one at 47mph today really irked me after I got the trip MPG up to 44mpg it dropped it back down to 43.8 mpg Finally got to coast down a couple of streatches of road an bridges and got it back up to 44 befor I got back 315 mile trip.

Another test I do is a slow stead loop of 12 miles with 3 stop signs and I use that as a test run to see how the car is running. Acetone and torco helps a lot and the big jump happened with the Synlube added. The real test was doing everything I could short of turning the engine off to get as high a mileage as I could so you run under almost ideal conditions and see if something you change will increase the mileage.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #917

I am almost to 3600 miles. All in 6 weeks. The gph is .2 at idle at 693rpm.

I checked out the synlube site, is there any warranty issues with using it?
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #918
Registered Member

Ona new engine Synlube will warrenty the engine against oil related failure for 300,000 miles I think - not sure if there ever was one using it or how good that warrenty is but that was a chance I took. A friend that spent $40,000 putting a new Volvo diesel engine in his old boat was worried that Toyota would not like the idea of never changing the oil again and said that I should write to them and ask what they thought of the idea. As I tend to have my cars rust away before the engines die I was not worried about it however I would like an oil pressure gauge in the xB to monitor the oil / lube flow (it's not really oil).

Your idle should get to about 640-650 rpm and .1gph once it settles down - usually happens at a red light or if parked idling after a ride. I wonder if it is a function of the O2 sensor getting hot enough because I don't see it happening much when I coast which would really get the MPG to twice where it is when coasting 0.2 vs 0.1 gph - I have seen it a few times and at 60 it shows 600 mpg which really cranks up the average for a trip. Make sure you are not running the heater fan or lights or AC or holding the brake pedal down or else the extra electrical load keeps the engine reving a little.
I also would like to know how high a MPG reading you get when you take your foot off the gas at various speeds. I have a friend that is thinking of trading in his Xterra for a Yaris 4 door becasue the gas is killing him at 18-19mpg.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:40 AM   #919
*shrug*

Do you have any of your stats recorded pre and post synlube? I don't think I ever saw anything specific posted on it.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:55 AM   #920
Registered Member

3/19/2006 point #8 on MPG graph added Slick50 Gear lube to tranny
4/29/2006 point #11 on MPG graph added ethanol and changed to Synlube just before filling

Unfortunately the Synlube change occured with the change to ethanol so it may have gone up with it and down with the fuel change but the NET change was higher and stays higher. Also the effect of the Synlube in the tranny was about the same as the Slick50 Gear treatment which added 5mpg to the test loop run so when the Slick50 came out and the Synlube went in there was not increase becasue the increase already occurred with the Slick50 being added at point #8 for a little over a month prior to Synlube.