Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 94 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2006, 06:04 AM   #931
Registered Member

I think the belly pan will help at 50 MPH, just not as much as at 70MPH.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:16 AM   #932
FE nut

I just set a new record today. In 6 miles, I hit 81.2 mpg by the time I got turned around in my drive. I think you better find those boots Dan.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:39 AM   #933
Registered Member

Wow!! Did you note the average speed?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:51 AM   #934
FE nut

Unfortunately, I didn't look at the average speed for the trip. I do know that it is usually around 28-29 mph. I suspect that it may have been a bit lower this time. I know that my max speed this time was 50 mph as I set up for my FAS to my driveway. At one point 2.6 miles into the trip, I was at 93.1 mpg. Too bad I couldn't hold it.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 09-02-2006, 09:13 AM   #935
Registered Member

The reason I keep asking about speed: I think that when we're flirting with these super crazy high numbers, we should also provide people with some context is all.

Last weekend's 133 mpg RT averaged 22 mph.

I know I can exceed 133, and I probably will just out of technical curiosity. But I'll have to go slower.

At some point, I'm going to fall below a threshold where I could have just as easily ridden there on my bicycle - at which point the FE exercise becomes academic rather than practical

(I figure that threshold is somewhere around 15 mph avg for an extended period.)

PS: I don't mean to diminish your FE feat AT ALL - P&G is a good skill to hone.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #936
FE nut

I know that my previous 75+ segments were at a 28 mph average.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 09-02-2006, 12:53 PM   #937
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry
I just set a new record today. In 6 miles, I hit 81.2 mpg by the time I got turned around in my drive. I think you better find those boots Dan.
Before I find my boots I might just have to try that P&G stuff. Currently I don't do that....

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #938
FE nut

Quote:
Before I find my boots I might just have to try that P&G stuff. Currently I don't do that....
Uh oh! It looks like I may have to find MY boots. I just got back from our family gathering and here are the numbers. On the way there, I got 55.9 mpg in 37 miles at an average speed of 43. On the way home, I got 56.7 in 37.1 miles at an average speed of 45. This was with 5 people in the car. I also had a head wind on the way there but the tailwind on the way back wasn't as strong as the headwind. Still, not too bad in a car that is rated 40 mpg highway. I P&G'd between 60 and 50 on the highway portions and between 30 & 50 on the county roads.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
Old 09-02-2006, 03:41 PM   #939
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry
I also had a head wind on the way there but the tailwind on the way back wasn't as strong as the headwind.
Oh, I hate it when that happens.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #940
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
At some point, I'm going to fall below a threshold where I could have just as easily ridden there on my bicycle - at which point the FE exercise becomes academic rather than practical
Actually, depending on the bicycle, you're already there! Most streamlined velomobiles pull over ~25mph@200watts. The only downside is vehicle cost, which I hope to remedy... But at something like ~1000+mpg equivalent on human power, not counting the fossil fuels needed to get your food to your mouth, you'll own FE. I think an electric velo is capable of ~2000+mpg@25mph equivalent since the "motor" efficiency is roughly twice that of a human, and given how little electricity is needed to cruise at 25mph in a velo, I'd think that all of our single passenger/minimal cargo trips could be powered by a 100W solar panel and a few deep cycle lead acids. You should really start looking to the dark side of transportation!

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote