Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #941
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Oh, I hate it when that happens.
At least it wasn't like what happened to me earlier this year. I had a headwind on my way to work and the wind switched so that i had a headwind on the home as well.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:17 PM   #942
Registered Member

200 watts for 25 mph, eh? That's impressive - but also a bit more than I can sustain comfortably (ie. without breaking a sweat). Judging by the LED displays on the exercise bike at the gym, even 100 watts for an extended period gets sweaty in a hurry.

The amount of bicycling I do is already having a "negative" impact on my FE average - since I tend to bike in town rather than driving the routes where I can typically get my best FE (so my higher speed driving pulls my average down).

Then I went and built myself a little cargo trailer for the bike, so now even bulky / heavy things don't necessarily require the car.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 04:48 PM   #943
Registered Member

That is clean, nice job! I was thinkin', 24V scooter motors tend to run in the $25-75 range on ebay, $250 of D-cell nimh's will give you ~480wh and in two parallel 20 cell series packs, 20a. Which seems to be enough to power a 350w dc motor, and should take you over 50 miles at ~25mph.... And it'll only add ~30lbs, so it shouldn't interfere with your pedal power much either. Hmmmm....
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #944
Registered Member

Hello

havent posted much here,,, or anywhere else of late.

Just got back from a trip to Norman Ok. from Okmulgee Ok. 225 miles mostly I-40. We were running late for OU's opening game. So i went hard to the OKC metro area. No hypermiling and the Civic still did 43 mpg. This was very aggresive driving that included atleast 12 redline shifts and a ave. speed of 70 mph.

The OU fateful pissed me off as our seats where taken when we got there. After asking three times for help to eject the conterfit seat takers. I got mad and left. Im a season ticket holder.... Well that was it the cinomon ring lickers can have it. Left very mad! Thre my OU hat at a big 12 offical, my OU jacket at a rent a cop. And my OU cellphone out the window of the Civic.

Point being I drove the Civic into the ground on the way home. I spun the tires, bounced the tach off the rev limiter and treated like a worthless hoe. with all this abuse it still returned 42 mpg for the trip home.

I had filled the car up before I left, refilled it at the same pump when i got home. SG showed tank at 42.5 mpg. Fill up showed the same.

Drive the crap out of the r-18 and enjoy, or work hard for 50 mpg. Seems like a no brainer to me. Hondas on to something with this engine.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #945
Registered Member

First fill on the Prius. 378 miles with a tank avg of 54.58 MPG. 250 miles of this was highway. My wife is getting the hang of it. Her best segment so far is 68.0 for 8 miles with me riding shotgun coaching. I'm hoping to get a hold of it next week and see how it does on my commute.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #946
Registered Member

Work it Z! And congrats on the wife's 68. You made a great decision. The Prius rocks!

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:31 PM   #947
Registered Member

Oh, those are fun cars. Rolling video games. Congrats on the good coaching.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #948
Registered Member

i used to be top ten but now everyone is learning the skills...

you guys really kick ***, maybe one day when there a national fuel eco challenge maybe we'll all compete and meet each other... one can dream

i'm still a mid 40's guy, will be for a long time. My city driving requires too much speed so P&G would get me murdered. One note though about average speed is sometimes mine goes out of wack (like 110 mph) and then I notice my mpg score is much higher than usual... so ya sometimes the scangauge goes bonkers when I'm fasing like crazy.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:35 PM   #949
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
Work it Z! And congrats on the wife's 68. You made a great decision. The Prius rocks!
Yea the car is fun to drive. My wife was astounded at how much concentration and effort it takes to get good numbers. I don't no if she want's to work that hard at it but she trying for now. Biggest problem for her is when people are behind and she driving the speed limit she want's to go faster so there not inconvenienced. Hopefully with time that will go away.

Metro" Oh, those are fun cars. Rolling video games. Congrats on the good coaching."

Well I still got a awfull long way to go in figuring it out and with limited saddle time it might be awhile before I can where your at now.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:10 PM   #950
FE nut

Way to go zpiloto! I'm still trying to get over wanting to speed up when someone comes up behind me; I'm getting better.
I forgot to post my numbers from yesterday so I'll do that along with today's. Yesterday's trip to take the wife to work was 55.0 From there to my work was 64.9. From my place to pick up the wife in the afternoon was 62.9 and, from there to home was 58.6. Yoday's numbers were 62.5 to the wife's work, 61.7 from there to my job, and 63.5 from my job to pick the wife up this afternoon. I just got back from dropping my daughter off at church and I ended up with a 75.1 for the trip of 5.* miles.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote