Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 122 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2006, 11:54 AM   #1211
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
On the weekend trip to fetch the Forkenswift motor mount from the dead red car: 80.4 mpg (US), 27 mph avg., 53 mph max., 41.7 miles., drizzling & 5 degrees C ambient, P&G/CODFISH fest.

Trying to drag this lousy tank above 70 mpg. (Currently 67.x)
C'mon...work it, work it...

Old 11-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #1212
Registered Member

I am tring a sightly different route to school for this tank.

This will save me from fighting way thru the redlights, is shorter, and less climbing overall. I can't belive it took me so long to find it. Goofing off in google earth may help your mpg.

Old way. (17.08 mi./ 1265.9 ft. climbing / traffic/ many redlights)

New way (14.17 mi./ 1089.8 ft. climbing)

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:27 PM   #1213
Registered Member

Got 69mpg on this latest tank. 50 miles of driving through heavy rain at 55 to 65mph helped to pull the mileage down. I revisited and improved the shape of my boattail. Since I find I rarely use the hatch anymore since I took out the front passenger seat, I gave up the use of the hatch in exchange for an optimal boattail shape (tuft tested with good clean results). I also rebuilt the front wheel spoilers and gave them a shape similar to those on the Daihatsu UFE-III. And last but not least, I built a rounded extension on the front of my car to get rid of the flat bumper/grill area on the front of my car. It now has a rounded, leading edge of an airfoil, shape to the front of my car and more of the slipstream is directed over the top of my car. Unfortunately my camera batteries were dead, so I couldn't post any pics of the mods tonight.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #1214
Registered Member

69 mpg is quite impossible in my car at 55 to 65 mph. Nice work!

Looking forward to seeing the new pics. I'm curious if you're conscious of changes in lift, now that the car is more airfoil-ish. Skittish? Light steering at speed? Parachutes rather than air bags?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:44 PM   #1215
Registered Member

I've had it up to 75mph with no stability problems. Also the front wheel well skirt roller system has been working fine with no problems. Its amazing how far I can coast now on flat ground with the ICE off and how minimal a downgrade it takes to maintain my speed compared to the car's stock performance.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:16 AM   #1216
Registered Member

103 MPG segment 11/16/06.

Since I may never see a 100 MPG round-trip, I decided to post what I did yesterday. Pretty proud of this in my ZX2, EPA rated 25-33 MPG.

103 MPG for 32 miles. This was on a rural road near my home. Light traffic. Up and down terrain. Managed to hold a reasonable highway speed. EOC and P&G. Used my injector shut-off often.

My return over the same route lowered this to 70.4 MPG for the 64.2 miles. I may have done better with more favorable conditions (see weather report at bottom of ScanGauge report).

Hope you can read the figures. I need to find a better way to snap pics of SG2. Too dark with no flash and reflections with flash.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #1217
Registered Member

That's darned impressive!

Question: is the 39 mph average for the round trip, or the 103 leg?
Old 11-18-2006, 04:34 PM   #1218
Registered Member

My stuff:

Went to Ottawa to return the bikeE today.

70.6 mpg (US) round trip, which is not bad considering...

- this was mostly highway/freeway driving and a somewhat longish trip. I only DWL the longer ones, no P&G.
- about 5 C / 41 F, light winds
- unbelted alternator
- 148 miles
- 41 mph avg / 69 max

I don't often drive on really busy highways, but I'm pretty sure I saw the "corridor effect" today. Driving in isolation, before reaching the city I was only able to get 72-75 mpg at a steady 45 mph. But when I was in the city in 3 or 4 lanes of steady highway traffic flow (right lane, going slower than average) I was seeing 75 mpg in the 50-55 mph range from the aero effect: the traffic-generated tail wind.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:38 PM   #1219
Registered Member

Quote:
New way (14.17 mi./ 1089.8 ft. climbing)
That big descent at 9-12.5 mi. looks like an awesome coasting opportunity. Way better than the other route (provided the lights are absent, or you can time them.)
Old 11-18-2006, 06:38 PM   #1220
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ZX2
103 MPG segment 11/16/06.

Since I may never see a 100 MPG round-trip, I decided to post what I did yesterday. Pretty proud of this in my ZX2, EPA rated 25-33 MPG.

103 MPG for 32 miles. This was on a rural road near my home. Light traffic. Up and down terrain. Managed to hold a reasonable highway speed. EOC and P&G. Used my injector shut-off often.

My return over the same route lowered this to 70.4 MPG for the 64.2 miles. I may have done better with more favorable conditions (see weather report at bottom of ScanGauge report).

Hope you can read the figures. I need to find a better way to snap pics of SG2. Too dark with no flash and reflections with flash.
Metro, when I can impress you, I'm proud of myself. Thanks.

39 MPH avg for 32.1 miles, the 103 MPG leg. I did not reset for the return trip. I took picture at the end of round trip, but couldn't see it on pic and SG2 had shut down. However I had written it down in my notebook. 35 MPH avg for the 64.2 mi roundtrip.

A comical? event happened on my return. I came whizzing over the top of a hill all ready for a good coast and had to throw on the brakes and stop. Cowboys on horses were driving probably 150 cattle on the highway. Just like the old west. The cattle were going the same direction I was, completely blocking the road. The cowboys just looked at me while I waited for sombody to make a move. In a bit one of the cowboys just motioned me forward. I just looked at him in amazement, wondering what the heck he wanted me to do. He was some distance off to my right. Never a word was said. I sat there a few seconds and he motioned me forward again. So I started creeping forward till I was practically bumping the cattle, weaving my way thru them. I drove fairly close to a bull and realized he could destroy this car if he took a mind to. I got thru them without any contact but drove thru a number of cow pies. I heard the goop sling around in the wheel wells after I got going. Lost probably 10 minutes, lost my momentum, missed a good coast, crept 10 minutes in 2nd gear, and damn sure lost my concentration.

How's that for a true gas mileage story.

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote