Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 143 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2007, 06:00 AM   #1421
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

mileage going up

I am a newbie, and have some news to report on my last tank, which would be the first official tank since signing up with gassavers.

Since reading though alot of threads I have started experimenting with engine off coasting. Wow what fun.

Last night I drove up the mountain pass for some night skiing. Before I left my tank was 1/4 full and the trip is 190 miles. Generally I would fill the tank. But last night I put my new knowledge to the test. Using a new found route (slower - less traffic - hills to coast) and armed with engine off coasting I head out. I note each fuel station carefully this time thinking I would have to stop on the way home in the middle of the night. But in the darkness and on a empty highway I coast like a madman and get all the way home, and the low fuel light does not even show!!! I fill up and note a 32 mpg tank. One of the this cars best tanks ever!!! What fun!!

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #1422
Supporting Member

BeeUU -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeUU View Post
I am a newbie, and have some news to report on my last tank, which would be the first official tank since signing up with gassavers.

Since reading though alot of threads I have started experimenting with engine off coasting. Wow what fun.

Last night I drove up the mountain pass for some night skiing. Before I left my tank was 1/4 full and the trip is 190 miles. Generally I would fill the tank. But last night I put my new knowledge to the test. Using a new found route (slower - less traffic - hills to coast) and armed with engine off coasting I head out. I note each fuel station carefully this time thinking I would have to stop on the way home in the middle of the night. But in the darkness and on a empty highway I coast like a madman and get all the way home, and the low fuel light does not even show!!! I fill up and note a 32 mpg tank. One of the this cars best tanks ever!!! What fun!!
Isn't it great ? My favorite thing to do is the pulse and glide. It works better for me in the hi-density traffic of LA and has made the biggest difference.

How many gallons do you have in your car at 1/4 tank? I am wondering what your MPG was for the 190 mile segment.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #1423
FE nut

Great work BeeUU! If you live in a colder climate like where I'm at, when the weather gets warmer that may go up even more.

Temps were 5F this morning. By the time I got to work the SG was showing an average of 46.1 for the 15.4 mile trip. I was able to break into the 50 mpg range this morning on one of the legs.:woot: This afternoon, the temp was ~20F and I had 52.3 for both legs of the commute and the average for the whole day was at 48.7.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #1424
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

CarloSW2:
I wish I knew. I think the tank was only "OK" untill the ski trip. Coasting down the hill was a great boost for that tank. Although the all the enigne off coasting with the headlights on is hard on the battery!! It was a very quiet night so I had the road to myself to experiment. I did find a new road to get past a lot of afternoon traffic. That was a boost for mileage too. I did realize the additional aero mods are required. Even on the steepest hills the car was slowing to around 50.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #1425
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

CarloSW2:
I wish I knew. I think the tank was only "OK" untill the ski trip. Coasting down the hill was a great boost for that tank. Although the all the enigne off coasting with the headlights on is hard on the battery!! It was a very quiet night so I had the road to myself to experiment. I did find a new road to get past a lot of afternoon traffic. That was a boost for mileage too. I did realize the additional aero mods are required. Even on the steepest hills the car was slowing to around 50.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #1426
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

coasting is good!!

This is definitely a carefully WAG but with all the coasting I am guessing the mpg was in the 40's. Nice!!! The only other time that I have had high of mileage was a 350 mile trip without an alternator, it was not intentional by the way. Further confirmation that removing the alternator will improve FE.

I have since been driving with allot more coasting. I also have found that my Jetta is a great coaster. I think that something is dragging on the Peugeot, I will have to take a look.

With all this coasting going on, I notice that I can nearly glide in the last 1.5 miles of my commute to work!! Sweet.

diamondlarry:
I enjoy the cold weather, so with reservation, I am waiting for the warmer weather for higher FE numbers!!

Old 02-14-2007, 09:52 AM   #1427
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

coasting is good!!

This is definitely a carefully WAG but with all the coasting I am guessing the mpg was in the 40's. Nice!!! The only other time that I have had high of mileage was a 350 mile trip without an alternator, it was not intentional by the way. Further confirmation that removing the alternator will improve FE.

I have since been driving with allot more coasting. I also have found that my Jetta is a great coaster. I think that something is dragging on the Peugeot, I will have to take a look.

With all this coasting going on, I notice that I can nearly glide in the last 1.5 miles of my commute to work!! Sweet.

diamondlarry:
I enjoy the cold weather, so with reservation, I am waiting for the warmer weather for higher FE numbers!!

Old 02-14-2007, 11:42 AM   #1428
Registered Member

@BeeUU:

Wow, you have a Peugeot 405!!! That's it in the avatar, nice, same colour as mine, although I have OEM fog lights and rewired the rear lights after the European model (including rear fog lights) right after I bought it

It is a 1989 Canadian model 405 DL with 355,000 km on the original engine / clutch / transmission / driveshafts. Great car! Outhandles sports cars.

I'm going to import a 1994 or 1995 405 T16 (2 L turbocharged 220HP, 4WD with viscous central diff and Torsen rear end) from Europe in 2009 or 2010 for road use here in Canada.

My 405's lifetime fuel consumption is (29 US MPG) without any real attempt to get good fuel economy. Had I tried harder since I got it, I am sure it'd be under 7.5 L/100......

I also have another Peugeot, a 1966 404 Coupé with Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection and a Pininfarina-built body.
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #1429
Registered Member

Well, after killing the battery the other evening, my trip today was decidedly less aggressive with the whole ICE-offness.

The result: where I could typically pull a low 60 mpg (US) rabbit out of the hat, I was only able find 51 mpg this morning. Typically cold (-18c), snow covered roads. I did a little ICE off, but mostly i left it idling where I would have otherwise killed it.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:05 AM   #1430
Registered Member

I had an incredibly bad FE day. Got stuck on the interstate where there was a bad wreck(hopefully no one was injured seriously) and they had the highway shutdown. By the time I got off of it and with all the other traffic diverting to alternate route it was pretty much a killer. I think this is the first time that every light I came to was red. It turned a 40 MPG tank into a mid 30's tank without much hope of bring this tank up to something reasonable. Tomorrow I have a 100 mile road trip, mostly highway, hopefully that will get it going back the right direction. It amazing how one bad day can ruin a whole tank.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote