Official Thread for posting daily FE updates - Page 151 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #1501
Registered Member

My commute is pretty brutal. Going to school the roads are almost completely flat.

Attachment 228

I usually manage 20 mpg just by trying to get out of the snow-filled cul-de-sac, turn right onto a 4 lane street that has speed humps because it's a school zone (40km/h maximum).

I usually do 45km/h in 4th gear down this road and if I'm lucky, I can get about 300 feet of FAS'ing to a stoplight.

When the light turns green, I continue down the road, do a 500 foot FAS to the traffic lighted intersection at Highway 33 (Arcola Avenue). I usually bump-start my car just before making the right turn on highway 33 since it's a free-flow turning lane, however sometimes I need to sit behind dorky drivers that wait until it's completely clear so they can cross all 3 lanes when they turn.

After the turn, I immediately need to accelerate and merge into the left-most lane. Highway 33 has a speed limit of 70km/h but everyone is flying to the next stoplight, so I'm no doubt going to cut someone off at 50km/h. There's 2 traffic lights I need to go through (at the interchange) before I'm able to make a left turn onto the TC Highway (which is a challenge due to the fact that there's tons of cars coming toward me at this left turn).

This onramp is virtually the only downhill in the commute, yet I can't EOC because I need to accelerate and merge. I usually shift into 3rd at 30km/h, 4th at 40km/h and then 5th at 55km/h. Accelerate and set the cruise control at 70-80km/h. Nearly get smoked off by someone who is impatient and accelerates like a mad man just before I make the merge.

I continue to do 70-80km/h on the highway with the scanguage showing an average of 45mpg at the speed because my car is cold as hell, well not literally. The temperature guage finally creeps up for the "C" position on the instument panel just as I take the University exit. I do a short 600 foot EOC as I exit (since I'm only doing 70km/h) and need to hit the brakes at the Research Drive exit. It is usually the most slippery part of my commute and I can't go very fast around it.

After the turn is completed, I bump start again and accelerate to 40km/h (speed limit) and immediately do another FAS as I loop around the turning circle (also very slipery). I do some more Fas and bump starts before ending my trip at the university parking lot. Immediately shut off engine and at this point the SG shows ~40mpg trip and the temperature gauge shows 170*F (not even fully warmed up).

The only reason why my tanks aren't 38-41mpg all the time is because I do a heck of a lot more driving that just my commute. For comparison purposes, my dad says that whenever he drives my Geo, the SG trip usually hovers around the 27mpg mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LAndon's commute.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	198  

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #1502
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I did a run home today and got the usual 42-43mpg there but on my return trip I did a little detour and managed 53.0mpg average up to the last mile then had to go up hill and it dropped to 51.9mpg for the return trip of 25 miles but what really helped was starting the return trip with the engine only stopped for about 20 minutes -Temps in the high 30's today.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #1503
Registered Member

A new record 42.3 MPG for this tank at a speed of 34 MPH. I had the moon disc, 1/4 panel wheel skirts and side mirrors removed for the whole tank. Winter's gone here, warm temps should be around for a while now. I've got a sluggest O2 sensor that I plan on replacing in the next couple of weeks so that should also help.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #1504
Registered Member

Peakster - that's no "easy" FE situation you face, compared to mine. By half way through my route I'm out of town and on a lightly traveled rural highway (at the times I travel).

EG. on the return trip today I put on the signal and coasted onto the shoulder to let 3 cars pass.

I also touch the brake pedal to light up the brake lights once I'm on the shoulder - I have the impression people are less hesitant to drive past me when the brake lights are on - as opposed to just the turn signal. Makes me want to put a dashboard switch for the brake lights so I don't actually brake the car when I want to light them up.

69.2 mpg (US) for today's round trip. 2 EBH assisted cold starts. 22 avg, 45 max mph. 10 mi. -5 C.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:26 PM   #1505
Registered Member

Jsut curious, have you ever walked or biked the three miles to school?
Old 02-26-2007, 03:35 PM   #1506
Registered Member

Peakster:

Can you go straight across Arcola at the lights into the neighbourhood to the south? Does that neighbourhood have a connection to Assiniboine (can't tell from the map)? And then can you get from Assiniboine onto #1?

If "yes" to all the above, I'd try that. It'd give you more P&G opportunities through the presumably quieter neighbourhood while the car continues to warm up.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #1507
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Peakster:

Can you go straight across Arcola at the lights into the neighbourhood to the south? Does that neighbourhood have a connection to Assiniboine (can't tell from the map)? And then can you get from Assiniboine onto #1?

If "yes" to all the above, I'd try that. It'd give you more P&G opportunities through the presumably quieter neighbourhood while the car continues to warm up.
Ah, you mean this route:

Attachment 230

I can sure try it out tomorrow. Assiniboine Avenue actually merges right onto the TC highway so no lights to worry about at that interchange.

Mapquest quotes that route @ 10 minutes as opposed to the 8 the other way but if I get better FE it will be worth the 120 extra seconds .

PS - I hypermiled the crap out of my car to school this morning and got 43.1 mpg . I'll report my mpg for that new route tomorrow. Thanks MetroMPG.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAA7CTMJ.gif
Views:	293
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	200  
Old 02-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #1508
Registered Member

The longer you can stay on quiet streets, the better. So you can drive weird and not be under pressure to conform.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #1509
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
Just curious, have you ever walked or biked the three miles to school?
Nope. I figure I may as well get the most out of my parking pass. Actually, the weather turns rather chilly by mid October, and by the the school year ends there aren't even leaves on the trees yet.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #1510
Registered Member

Room for groceries even. You'll stay warmer if you don't opt for the electric pusher trailer