Oil Pan Heater - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-27-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

Oil Pan Heater

Anyone use o0r has tried one. I got underneath Lil Silvwer and couldn't even see a core plug. fron is where the exhaust is and in back can barely see and get to the oil filter so thought i'd check into something like this now.

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
Registered Member

Ebh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LxMike
Anyone use o0r has tried one. I got underneath Lil Silvwer and couldn't even see a core plug. fron is where the exhaust is and in back can barely see and get to the oil filter so thought i'd check into something like this now.
Within the time I start the Integra, I get into Closed Loop within 15 seconds. The Engine Block Heater actually does what it says -- heats the coolant and the engine block itself. The oil and auto-trans fluid is also heated and makes it easier on the engine during startup, and more efficient. The best generally is the OEM version. For example, I have a timer on mine to engage 3-hours before I head out in the morning. Coolant temps are around 130 and FE is better obtained.

RH77

Old 10-28-2006, 03:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
You should experiment with different timer settings vs ambient temp. I bet you could get the job done with a lot less than 3 hours plug-in time.
The problem is -- it varies when I decide my butt out of bed

I've tried 1-hour and it was almost ready. Probably 1.5 hours would be the best. The side-advantage, if I raise the hood, it heats the garage and gets my wife's car warmer for startup

The worst, is when I forget to plug it in It really hits the FE on chilly days.

RH77
Old 10-29-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Within the time I start the Integra, I get into Closed Loop within 15 seconds. The Engine Block Heater actually does what it says -- heats the coolant and the engine block itself. The oil and auto-trans fluid is also heated and makes it easier on the engine during startup, and more efficient. The best generally is the OEM version. For example, I have a timer on mine to engage 3-hours before I head out in the morning. Coolant temps are around 130 and FE is better obtained.

RH77
The one i'm looking at sticks on the bottom of the oil pan and heats the noil and they say that heat rises so some would get into the collant and engine but main benefit is in the oil being warmed. raises 6 qts of oil 100F in 2 hours.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
Team OPEC Busters!

I have a stick on oil pan heater on the van. The coolant lines were too much of a pain. I ended put with a single 125w because of the shape of the pan. I am seriously considering a second 125w on the other side. It takes at least 4 hours to even be noticed at start up. When it's really cold out I leave it plugged in all night and it will be just off the cold when I start it.

The VW Jetta wagon has a 1000w coolant heater and it works SOOOOOO much better. After one hour if you feel the oil pan it is warm to the tough and after two hours it to hot to comfortably touch, I am half tempted to mess with the coolant lines on the van because you get heat right away with the coolant heater.

I am sure the oil pan heater is better then nothing and is better for the engine in cold weather, but it doesn’t help with FE or comfort.
GasSavers_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

well guess no kind of heater for me then. just wanted something to help with the short trip i have to work. was looking for something i could do myself.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

Oil Dipstick Heater

How about an oil dipstick-sytle heater? That way, you can get the core temps up without having to mess with much...

RH77
Old 10-30-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock
The VW Jetta wagon has a 1000w coolant heater and it works SOOOOOO much better. After one hour if you feel the oil pan it is warm to the tough and after two hours it to hot to comfortably touch, I am half tempted to mess with the coolant lines on the van because you get heat right away with the coolant heater.
So does the coolant heater include a pump, or does it just depend on convection & diffusion?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
Team OPEC Busters!

It is convection. It is mounted at the bottom of the radiator and circulates back up to the engine. One of the neat things is if you turn you cabin heat to defrost it will melt any snow or ice off the windshield once it is warm enough. Again this is due to convection; the floor or even vent settings won't get you any cabin heat.
GasSavers_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:21 AM   #10
Registered Member

Block heaters are not too terribly hard to install yourself. You should give it a shot.

Also, outlet timers are great for block heaters. No need to wake up to turn it on. Without an outlet timer I would probably only use my block heater for a week before I gave up.