Ok, does anyone want to take the plunge with me?? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skale7 View Post
Yeah, when gas is six dollars a gallon, the small efficient engines will come. ........One thing I would look at is the car's safety. I think (again, think) that the US and Canadian cars have more stringent safety requirements, and with good reason, the cars are a lot bigger here, so crashing into one is much more serious.
I was prepared for that. You are right in saying that we may be more stringent with safety and that some of these economy cars would never pass USA inspections. However, I did mention in my last post that the SAME EXACT (or at least very siimilar) cars are being sold overseas with smaller, more efficient engines. Like I said the same model that we buy with a 1.8 L engine as a standard comes in either a 1.2, 1.4 or 1.6 L engine overseas. Why are cars so big and powerful? Look at Toyota, for example:
The Toyota series used to be Tercel, Corolla, Camry,Cressida. As of late it was Echo, Corolla, Camry, Avalon. Echo is now Yaris, dont know deal with Avalon. Each upgrade bought more options, luxury, power and SIZE with a price tag suited to the amenities of the car. How is it that todays Corolla is larger than the Camry of a few years ago and seemingly almost as large as the older Cressidas and Avalons. A new Corolla has MORE power than my 98 Camry, which is a pretty good size. No one was complaining about power and horsepower 10 years ago when they bought their cars. But Car manufacturers have decided for us that we need tons MORE power. Now all of a sudden the BASE MODEL Altima has 170hp and the 6cyl version has 270hp. Thats a ton of power for your mid-sized car. Whats the point of a Maxima then? It used to be the Sentra was your economy car, Altima was mid-sized and Max was high power/speed/sporty 4door car. I never recall the Altima as a car that was lacking in power and the Max was known for it high speeds. Now the car below the Maxima comes out and actually has more power than the maxima forcing Nissan to make the next model Maxima with more power. I have no issues withpower but if its going to come at the expense of FE then I dont need it so I can race to the next light in a car that can do 160mph in a city where the speed limit is 55mph (70 on some interstates). I can understand selling these cars in Germany where you have the highways where speed limits are unbounded, but it just doesnt make any sense in the US. Cant wait till I have money and means to import. My .02. sorry if I sound like Im ranting. Oh wait, I actually AM ranting

GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #12
Registered Member

Can you register a Beat or something similar in the US? Do they beef them up to meet the safety and emissions standards or???

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:39 AM   #13
Registered Member

Well, I guess I'm alone on this one. I'm saving up the money now, should be ready to start the process in a couple months. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

To popimp, I will be a pilot.
DrRoboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:22 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoboto View Post
MetroMPG, I know you had some correspondence with jdm-imports, and he seemed pretty enthusiastic when posting here. Are you still contemplating?
Whoops - just read this thread.

Nope, as much as I'm taken by the little cars, I can't justify adding another vehicle to the fleet. And I'm past the "I might just do it anyway!" impulse buying phase.

A big issue is the MPG potential isn't as good as I would have liked. DAX confirmed this with his feedback about the car's gearing.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Can you register a Beat or something similar in the US? Do they beef them up to meet the safety and emissions standards or???
Yes, but I'm still not sure it is 100% legal. There is no "beefing up." If I had it to do again, I'd register it as a CRX.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote