Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2007, 01:09 PM   #11
Registered Member

Inefficient Evening

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
Believe me when the wife and I jump in the Civic and haul *** over to Arkansas on the 9th of April to hide in the hills I wont be hypermiling. I will be racking tach and having some fun on my native two lanes. And I wager a pay check,,, I'll do my stats....
Thanks for mentioning this, because I also have a confession. It's been a long time, but the 'Teg got a real run-up last night.

For months, I've been driving this particular car with the lightest foot and concentration of that MPG number on the SG.

BUT

Last night we had an outbreak of severe storms that prompted some storm spotting/chasing as flooding and hail (plus one tornado) developed and required reporting. This was my first real "spot and chase" since starting Gassavin'.

The 'Teg definitely got to do what it was designed to do. There's no sound like Hondas at 6000+ RPM. Meanwhile I found myself flying down some gravel road at (an undisclosed) speed then back on to surface roads taking turns at "higher than average" speeds and acceleration to track that elusive storm. The old RH77 was definitely out, and well -- it felt good -- and the 'Teg handled great.

The storm broke-up and headed West to combine with another cell to spawn a tornado, but it was good practice in my region, nevertheless (and not super-common). On the way home, it was hypermiling time again and according to the SG, about 4 mpg was lost on the 1/2-tank mark. Hopefully I can bring that up by a couple before fillup.

RH77