Oodles of Oil in the Earth? - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-22-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 125
Country: United States
Oodles of Oil in the Earth?

According to this NewsWeek article (late 2006) we have little to worry about, in regard to oil being there in the distant future, through the end of the century, so it says.

I tend to be a bit pessimestic, but give it a read and do report your views.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16288769...wsweek/page/0/
__________________

MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
 
omgwtfbyobbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,516
Country: United States
Quote:
And to complicate matters further, we are witnessing a minor revival of interest in an old Russian theory that oil can be born of chemical reactions in deep inner Earth, not of fossils decaying closer to the surface. This holds the dim but intriguing prospect that oil might be a renewable resource.

Aaannnd to complicate matters further, we are witnessing a minor revival of interest in an old hillbilly theory that oil can be born of alien probes in the deep inner rectum, not of fossils decaying closer to the surface. This holds the dim but intriguing prospect that oil might be a renewable resource.
That being said, we've got plenty of oil left. And now that we've managed to push demand to stratospheric levels, it'll be very lucrative selling each and every last drop. Provided we can keep viable alternatives out of the mainstream market and stay on the supply side.
__________________

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaTwo
I think if i could get that type of FE i would have no problem driving a dildo shaped car.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
Supporting Member
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,779
Country: United States
MorningGaser -

More oil may be out there, but I think the prevailing rule is that it will be harder to find and more expensive to extract. The law of diminishing returns. I disagree with this quote :

Quote:
A famous CIA report predicted the "rapid exhaustion" of accessible fields, while President Jimmy Carter warned that oil wells were "drying up all over the world." Instead, in 1986, oil prices collapsed in the midst of a huge supply boom, as they had done many times before.
The reason being that Carter had "flatlined" US oil consumption in the late 1970's, which helped to break OPEC later on. I would say that the supply boom resulted from successful conservation.

I've heard about the Russian theory independent of this article, but I don't have enough expertise to comment. Theory vs theory. Dinosaur guts vs tectonic earth forces. Who knows?

If oil runs out, the USA will still have coal, so we'll still have to solve the same (worse with coal) pollution problems.

PS - My own conspiracy theory on this is that all the fuss over ANWR is because it has oodles of oil that nobody wants to talk about because someone wants to make a killing on it first.

CarloSW2
__________________
Old School SW2 EPA ... New School Civic EPA :

What's your EPA MPG? http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 163
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
MorningGaser -
PS - My own conspiracy theory on this is that all the fuss over ANWR is because it has oodles of oil that nobody wants to talk about because someone wants to make a killing on it first.

CarloSW2
This is the grandest of all conspiracy theories, even better than "who shot JFK". Submitted for your approval:

1. In the 1970s, CIA says that middle east is running out of oil. Allow that to happen and what happens to that regions influence? Who was the head of the CIA at the time?

2. Draw down of refinery capacity to create artificial shortage, drive prices up. Primes the economy for unprecedented problems. Who owns the major refineries?

3. Plenty of oil under our region of the world, yet it remains untapped. We're saving it for what/when? See item #1.

4. We know how 9/11 effected this country. Ask yourself what would happen if we lost our refining capabilities due to 50% of refineries being destroyed? See item #2.

Simple and elegant as all conspiracy theories are on the surface.
__________________


Proud owner of Stinkerbutt!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Air Raid cone filter, direct to TB
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
-Now featuring front wheel canards!
kitcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
Registered Member
 
Snax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 758
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcar View Post
Simple and elegant as all conspiracy theories are on the surface.
Your theory nails it IMO. The primary goal of the US government at this point is to hoarde domestic resources in the hopes of making a killing later on when the rest of the planet has been pumped dry.

Unfortunately this only works if they can successfully control the energy monopoly, but I think they are in a losing fight on that. Alternative energy sources are everywhere and the patents on storage technology (batteries) are limited. It's only a matter of time before electrics become far more common, however one should not discount the possibility that the oil companies will attempt to monopolize the copper mining industry as well given the relatively large amounts required for electric motors.
__________________
LiberalImage.com

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 231
Country: United States
Interesting, but not surprising. I never did see how it could all come from dinosaurs. There's just too much oil for it to be dead dinos and their dinners. How much have we burned since the late 1800s when production first started ramping up? This doesn't count the stuff that's oozed to the surface for the last who knows how long. And, some oil fields that were played out and abandoned have been found to be full again.

I think that the planet does indeed make crude as it goes along, and we keep being told it is a finite resource because that makes it more valuable. If it was well known that the planet makes X number of barrels every year, then it wouldn't be worth nearly as much. Assumptions were made back before technology was able to show otherwise, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a decision wasn't made to let those assumptions continue for money's sake.

Even though I think oil is a renewable resource, I still think it needs to be conserved for no other reason than to keep the air clean. My own preference would be to see crude used only for mobile power generation, and require all stationary power needs to be supplied by electricity. I'd like to see that electricity be generated by hydro, solar, wind, wave, geothermal, nuclear, ect. None of these methods of power generation cause pollution (not counting what it takes to make the stuff) except nuclear, and with the new breeder reactors spent fuel is reprocessed into new fuel. I'm certain that we could develop a means to deal with the spent fuel in the next 500 years, and we could probably even come up with a way to reprocess existing nuclear waste into new breeder fuel. I'd like to see all electrical lines buried at least 6ft deep, and the elimination of the oil heater in the Northeast. I think that just this step alone would cut the carbon emissions of the US by 30 percent, some of those oil heaters have been in use for over 30 years or longer, and once a unit is installed it does not have to meed emissions standards passed afterwards. Those old oil heaters are like this VW bus I saw at a bank drivethrough back when I had my Tahoe, the whole back of it was railing against the SUV as a planet destroyer, calling them gas sucking pollution machines. When the bus owner started up, he pumped out more pollution in the first 5 seconds of operation than my Tahoe put out for a year. Then he gave it the gas and the smoke started pumping out like a stack! Nasty!

If we only used "fossil" fuels to power mobile sources (and the other non-fuel uses) then the cost of a barrel would drop to about 20 dollars, and gasoline would be below a dollar a gallon. Bad thing is this would encourage 5MPG monsters, but with laws requiring high MPG regardless of oil prices with drastic gas guzzler taxes assessed on a yearly basis, it wouldn't matter. Transportation would be cheap and accessible to everyone and pollution would be reduced to boot.

Me, I'm just a cheap bast@rd...
Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Registered Member
 
brucepick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 722
Country: United States
Location: Connecticut
Frankly, I don't give a ****.
Where it comes from and whether it's slowly replacing itself, that is.

If it is indeed replacing itself it's doing so very slowly and we're not seeing the "new" stuff. According to Big Oil it's becoming more and more difficult to find additional underground supplies.

So my answer is to conserve.
If enough people hypermile their vehicles we could actually break Big Oil. Remember, they only make money because we buy their product.
__________________
Currently getting +/- 50 mpg in fall weather. EPA is 31/39 so not too shabby. WAI, fuel cutoff switch, full belly pan, smooth wheel covers.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 163
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Frankly, I don't give a ****.

So my answer is to conserve.
If enough people hypermile their vehicles we could actually break Big Oil. Remember, they only make money because we buy their product.
Amen to that! Getting better mileage from a stock vehicle really isn't that hard. I used to do it just to save money and now......well now I'm really saving money. The people that used to laugh at me are scratching their heads. "You really get that much better mileage just from hanging plastic on your truck?" Yep.

For the life of me I still can't find a reason for the feds to not lower the national speed limit back down to 55 or even 65. Imagine the daily savings nationwide if everyone slowed down just 10 miles an hour.
__________________


Proud owner of Stinkerbutt!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Air Raid cone filter, direct to TB
-Homebrew front air dam
-Homebrew side skirt
-Torza top bed cover
-Now featuring front wheel canards!
kitcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
 
zpiloto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,225
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcar View Post
For the life of me I still can't find a reason for the feds to not lower the national speed limit back down to 55 or even 65. Imagine the daily savings nationwide if everyone slowed down just 10 miles an hour.
We're going the other way in Texas.

Granted that's some long straight highways but does anyone drives the speed limit now a days.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 675
Country: United States
I don't know about anywhere else, but in California they sure don't. I think the philosophy here is for the CHP to stay off of the freeways during rush hours and only show up when their is an accident. Anything else, they just get off the road and let the drivers dictate the speed. I don't drive slow, but when I am doing 80 and I'm being herded down the freeway, their are a lot of folks driving in a hurry and most of them don't seem to care about the cost of gas. Pretty Strange!
__________________

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where's the Jeep Wrangler forum? Revolution Fuelly Web Support and Community News 2 04-16-2012 10:40 AM
Help! AlfieGT Fuelly Web Support and Community News 1 05-23-2011 12:35 AM
A RAV4 to go with the Prius? krousdb General Discussion (Off-Topic) 31 12-30-2006 05:32 AM
Diesel chip Sludgy Diesels 10 12-10-2006 08:44 PM
TPS Will a 88 Civic DPFI TPS Work on a 92-95 D15z1 8Civic8 General Maintenance and Repair 2 11-09-2006 11:12 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.