Opinion: Best Fuel Injector/Intake Cleaner - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Opinion: Best Fuel Injector/Intake Cleaner

Hi all-

After installing the PCV catch can, I noticed how much oil is sent back into the intake, which I can imagine had gunked things up over 110,000 miles.

What is the opinion out there on the best fuel-injector and intake cleaner? Aside from taking the intake off and cleaning it professionally, what additive is on your list as "my personal favorite"?

I've used B-12 ChemTool by Berryman with some success. It seems to contain the least amount of components that would harm the fuel-system (rubber, in-tank fuel filter bag, etc.)

Thanks!

-RH77

Old 11-20-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
*shrug*

Acetone'll clean that crap

Acetone'll clean that crap out. Other than that I don't have any good diy stuff for ya.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

Should I take the throttle body off?

Should I do it right and take the throttle-body apart and squirt a bunch of acetone in the intake manifold and clean the throttle body, or just run it through the gas tank?

-RH77
Old 11-20-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
*shrug*

Running it through the gas

Running it through the gas tank will do the trick.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:34 AM   #5

Re: Should I take the throttle body off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Should I do it right and take the throttle-body apart and squirt a bunch of acetone in the intake manifold and clean the throttle body, or just run it through the gas tank?

-RH77
Be weary using high concentrations of acetone in your engine - especially not diluted in gasoline. If you want to see why, stick a rubber hose in some acetone and watch what happens.

I LOVE Seafoam. When I use this stuff, I put 1/3 can in the oil (a few days before an oil change), 1/3 can in the gas tank, and while the car is running, suck 1/3 can up through the brake booster vacuum line.

There are some good throttle body / intake manifold cleaners out there, but I don't know their names.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:49 AM   #6
Registered Member

The problem with this method

The problem with this method is that it won't clean much, if any, of the intake manifold because its coming in at the fuel injectors.

I've also had good results using Seafoam.
GasSavers_davens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:27 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
DaX hits this one right

DaX hits this one right on.

I too do the "exact" same thing with SeaFoam. I firmly believe it has the biggest "bang per buck." Yes. It works very well.

Now, if you are talking the best of the best? You know, tha cream of tha crop? And if you got that paper to spend?

Then look no futher than BG Company
This, folks, is the very best. Only thing better is popping that intake apart and cleaning it with pipe cleaners and GM TOP ENGINE Cleaner

Oh and one more thing for the brave souls reading this: Water. Yeah there is oil and varnish inside all of our intakes BUT that stuff around the EGR (tho water won't help that area) and the lower intake and valve charging area (intake and exhaust sides) is carbon. And 20 ounces of water poured through the brake booster vacuum hose will pulverize the hell outta that carbon. Pour heavy enough to get your engine close to dieing out(cuz you do this while its running), then throttle the crap out of it to get it to stop sputtering then do it again. Repeat until you are left with no more.
For those with the ONE injector TBI its easiest and actually more efficient meaning you will get 99.5% of the carbon out of the system.

~Will
P.S.~I heard SeaFoam contains water? If someone buys some in the next month, let me know if it says?
Old 11-21-2005, 08:04 PM   #8
Registered Member

Where to Buy SeaFoam?

This SeaFoam sounds like it works and is trusted. Where can I buy some? The usual parts shops don't seem to have it.

Now to respond to water into the engine: water does not compress like fuel, and can really cause some undue stress on the internals. I'd be concerned to try it.

-RH77
Old 11-21-2005, 08:10 PM   #9
Registered Member

Straight from the Seafoam

Straight from the Seafoam website:

ABC Auto Parts

Advance Auto Parts

Auto Value

Bumper to Bumper

CARQUEST Auto Parts

Midway Auto Supply

NAPA Auto Parts