Other means of saving fuel besides doing something to the car. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

Other means of saving fuel besides doing something to the car.

I want to use other ways to save fuel costs besides doing stuff to my car. So far I'm doing this by getting a credit card that saves me 5% on groceries, pharmacies and gas stations. Another thing I'm doing is trying to find cheapest Chevron or Shell gas stations so I could save some money. I just drove 4 miles to a gas station to buy gas for 2.37 instead of 2.45 next to my house.

My next idea that I have is this....I live in a community so I have to go through a common gate and my remote only works from like 15 feet so when I get to those 15 feet I press it and it takes time to open and I stand there wasting gas. What if the remore worked from 100+ feet so that way when I leave my parking spot I can press it and it opens the gate and by the time I get to the gate it's already open and I just pass through it and go my merry way.
This is a regular 12 combination remore, with a 9 volt battery. How can I boost the signal??????

BTW, the more I use it the less distance it works. So when there is a new battery I can open it as much as 30-40 feet away from the gate.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
*shrug*

Look on ebay for a zemco

Look on ebay for a zemco fuelsaver, that will help your idling woes. Shuts the car off when you're idling and starts it back up when you hit the gas, quite a neat system if you ask me, but about the remote, I have no idea.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

hmm I will have to look into

hmm I will have to look into it, hope it's less than $50

Old 12-02-2005, 07:55 PM   #4
Driving on E

Re: Other means of saving fuel besides doing something to the ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
My next idea that I have is this....I live in a community so I have to go through a common gate and my remote only works from like 15 feet so when I get to those 15 feet I press it and it takes time to open and I stand there wasting gas. What if the remore worked from 100+ feet so that way when I leave my parking spot I can press it and it opens the gate and by the time I get to the gate it's already open and I just pass through it and go my merry way.
This is a regular 12 combination remore, with a 9 volt battery. How can I boost the signal??????

BTW, the more I use it the less distance it works. So when there is a new battery I can open it as much as 30-40 feet away from the gate.
There are a few electronics guys on this board who can probably help with this. I'm certain there is a way to boost the signal. Something you might want to think about is to run it off of your car battery/alternator. Rig up a 12v to 9v converter and power your newly enhanced opener that way. The battery will always be full and it will never leave your car.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

good Idea about running it

good Idea about running it off the car, but that will only give me 30-40 feet distance. It would be sweet for 100-125 feet. That way I could probably save a good amount of fuel.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:13 PM   #6
FE nut

Quote:Another thing I'm

Quote:
Another thing I'm doing is trying to find cheapest Chevron or Shell gas stations so I could save some money. I just drove 4 miles to a gas station to buy gas for 2.37 instead of 2.45 next to my house.
You'll want to carefully calculate how far you can travel before your savings are eaten up in extra gas. My gret grandpa used to drive all accross town to use a coupon to save money. I too shop around for gas especially when I'm running errands and passing by several stations.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

I'll be passing by this

I'll be passing by this station after work but it's hot when I pass it. The best time to get gas is when It's cold outside.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:30 PM   #8
Registered Member

Good point...following that

Good point...following that logic, you should move to Texas because gas has dropped below $2/gallon again.
GasSavers_davens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:35 PM   #9
Registered Member

I'm sure gas will drop some

I'm sure gas will drop some more here. But sometimes it drops and then skyrockets. I'll be obseced with this fuel economy thing till my gas is free. Which is never.

So anybody got any other means of saving on gas or solutions for the remote?

Old 12-02-2005, 08:39 PM   #10
FE nut

Quote:I'll be passing by

Quote:
I'll be passing by this station after work but it's hot when I pass it. The best time to get gas is when It's cold outside.
Something else I've found is that if drive less than a few miles before filling up, you can get more gas in the tank. This is because there hasn't been as much warm gas returned to the tank throught the return line.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote