over inflate tires for highway driving - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
over inflate tires for highway driving

I was recently reading my honda owners manual from 1983 and it said that if you are going to be doing continued highway driving that you should add another 5psi of air to your tires above the normal recomended presure to prevent tire falure from over heating, and I thought that it was one of those ideas from the past, then I was reading a honda owners manual from 1997 and it said the exact same thing! for continued highway driving inflate your tires by an extra or so 5psi.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:58 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
I wonder if anybody does that? I mean, add some air, but also read the owner's manual?

I wonder how many millions of gallons of gasoline are wasted annually from all the underinflated tires out there? Cuz I see 'em everywhere every time I'm on the road.

Neither of my Ford owner's manuals had that recommendation but I like to run higher than recommended pressure anyway.

I've heard the cops run higher pressures, mainly to reduce the chance of breaking the beads with severe maneuvers, such as they might encounter when trying to apprehend rogue Tempos!
My owners manual says to inflate to pressure specfied on certification label.

Clencher: that would be a low speed chase?

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
higher pressure reduces temperature rise in the tire at higher speeds because it reduces tire wall and tread flex thus less heat is produced in the tire
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

Congratulations!

You know, speaking of owner's manuals, the first page message is dwindling:

Most of them used to say, "Congratulations on the purchase of X Vehicle! It should provide you with many years of driving pleasure".

Ford quit doing it, but I think Honda still does. It's funny -- I always have to pull out the manual and get that re-assurance.

RH77
Old 11-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
Registered Member

i wish my car came with a owners manual.

the glove boxx says 35 PSI in front and rear. should i increase thator leave it stock. i do 30/70 highway/city.

also how much will the speddo be off if i overinflate?

Need this stuff gone!
https://www.honda-tech.com/zero...67053[/B]
GasSavers_Diemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster

the glove boxx says 35 PSI in front and rear. should i increase thator leave it stock. i do 30/70 highway/city.

All I can do is offer my opinion(IMHO): The sticker in the glove box is a joke! Get a decent tire pressure gauge (I like analog better...some people need the numbers! LOL), add at least 5 pounds per square inch, and check 'em once a week - in the cooler AM...before driving! A tire pump(the old fashioned barrel-type with the cross handle) is also very, very handy...especially when you are late! Keep 'em tight, and keep your front end in alignment! Do not assume the factory alignment is correct! You're in for a big surprise when you get that "first alignment" done (the sooner, the better!)... it will(!) be off! ; then,once every 20, 30K miles, check it again.
The speedo will not be off any more than it already is! Tire diameter does not change with those steel belts in there!
30 / 70 what? MPH? MPG? Besides, isn't this backwards?
Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster

Your speedometer shouldn't have a noticeable change with more pressure. I'd be shocked if it was even 1 mph change.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
Registered Member

Cool

Alot of people, and OEM's do this.

If you'll notice, Toyota provides many vehicle platforms different specifications for different parts of the world. Specifically Europe. Where the starting tire pressure will be identical, but you'll see advice such as, "For extended highway driving, or driving above 90mph, run XXpsi. In the case of the Camry platform. For many years OEM was 32psi, and then recommended 38psi)
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #9
Registered Member

I run 55 psi on the highway, and around town (35 recomended)