Overinflating tires - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #21

Everette, if you read through these properly, you will see that everyone is talking about the vehicle recommended pressures, not the maximum sidewall pressures. No one is pushing their tires past the sidewall pressures, (or should be) just some of us find that we get a bit better mileage and often better life out of our tires by using a higher pressure than the recommended ones on the door or manual for the vehicle. And most of us are only using 4-10 PSI over those anyway which is quite safe.

Hence the term "recommended". It doesn't say "maximum" or "absolute" pressure. However the sidewalls DO have maximum rated COLD pressure listed for the reasons you stated. There is a chance to damage your tire or have it fail if you use pressures above those ratings on the TIRE.

DTMAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:58 AM   #22

I run tires that are rated at 35 psi recommended pressure at 50 psi without any issues and have for the last couple years. Years ago when there was nothing but bias ply tires overinflation would cause them to wear the center tread faster, but radial tires run flatter on the road and in my own experience even seem to last longer with the higher inflation pressure. It more dangerous to run a tire low on air than it is to run it over inflated as long as you don't over do it, because if it's underinflated the tire is running on the sidewall which is the weakest part of the tire and the tire will also overheat not to mention it also puts more strain on the engine and uses more fue trying to roll the car on a flatter tire. I've also read on other gas saving forums of people running as high as 100 psi in their tires. I wouldn't recommend that but as I stated above I haven't had any problems running 15 psi above sidewall stated pressure.

FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #23

lol. I easily run 4psi over all the time. That's 100000+ miles and the only problems have been nail/glass flats. I check monthly.

1. Perhaps people forgot old days of towing with a regular sedan and such. My ol Buick manual stated with increased load, tire psi must go up to be safe. Too low (ie. regular psi) when hauling stuff is dangerous.

2. If you are constantly going above 65mph, you'll need higher rated speed tires to be safe with higher psi. Then again, you're already pushing it if you're not in a sports car at those speeds.

3. Racing - higher is always used for improved performance on the track. With higher rated tires.

4. Temperature difference between iced 0F and 100F driving easily varies most tire psi 2-4+ psi. A broad range of +10/-10 psi is within tested specs of tire makers for safety. (No tire maker is going to state it, but they know dummies drive.)

5. Hot tires on hot days isn't a problem. You easily get 150+F surface asphalt temps on sun days, and add nearby engine and hot brakes, hot tires aren't unusual. The tire makers do test in scenarios like Death Valley hot, you know.

6. A brand-name, top-tier tire (Bridgestone, Yokohama, Goodyear,etc) is my pick when running high or fast.

7. The cars with tires that pop on the freeway live? Always have been obviously underinflated ones that I've seen pop (Sad too I couldn't warn them in time.)
babygdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:11 AM   #24
Registered Member

I had a 40psi max racing tire, pumped up to 45psi and after running for 6months, a bump in the tire became evident.

2 weeks after, I blew the tire.

If it says 35psi max, I stay there,especially because I live in the hot climate of S florida.

When living up north, the tires don't get as hot as over here, and might last longer.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #25

the sidewall pressure is max....take a good look thru those glasses...it says MAX pressure...i have a 320 hp mustang for summer and a 320 hp lifted 4x4,,,i have done my homework when it comes to rubber...put whatever you want in it...its your car,life.etc...i hope i am not on the road when it goes boom
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:01 PM   #26

Everett, you should put on your glasses and re-read the above. No one is suggesting anyone should ever exceed MAX PSI as stated on the sidewall.
tenzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #27

My recommended pressure is 31 and my tire sidewall max pressure is 44. I normally put 38 on all four. I prefer the lower rolling resistance, it's a bit quieter and I hate seeing a flat bottom tire. No loss in traction noticed.

My stock tires were 195 and I now have 205 so I can go harder and still have the same contact area.

I agree with Draigflag though, an insurance company may deny a claim if the tires were found to be overinflated. It's something I always keep in the back of my mind.

NathRajah is offline   Reply With Quote