People with MPGUINO - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #21
Supporting Member

Re: People with MPGUINO

Comes pre-built for $55 (shipped)? Not a bad price at all! I may have to consider one of these for my (pre-OBDII) CRX (and maybe also one for my wife's pre-OBDII Civic).

About the only "down side" I can see (other then the hassle of installing it, and the need to find a decent "case" to put the circuit board in), is that (according to the forums about the device) it can burn 27ma-40ma (depending upon backlighting settings?) continuously (even when the car is turned off). Not a lot of power by any means (especially when the car and alternator are running), but that 1/4 to 1/2 watt is a little more significant when the car is off (and apparently the device runs constantly, car on or car off). So any power spent while the car is off will have to come from the reserves in the battery, and then be replaced by (slightly) more alternator load (and therefore slightly worse FE) when the car is actually running (to charge the battery back up).

DracoFelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:10 AM   #22
Registered Member

But it provides instant feedback so you can hone in on your driving style for the best MPG... The gains far outweigh the (probably unmeasurable) loses from extra alternator load. You probably will only lose 0.001 mpg from the increased alternator load on a "normal" day if the car was your daily driver as it would hardly have enough time while at work or sitting overnight to drain the battery enough to matter.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

If it uses 1 watt, it uses 1/34000th of a gallon of gasoline per hour, or 1/11000th depending on which Google results I want to believe (the latter accounts for generating it with an ICE and using it with an electric motor, while the former is based on raw BTUs per gallon and per watt).

Wow, I knew it was insignificant but I didn't know it was THAT insignificant.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #24
Registered Member

So why did spotaneagle get banned?
VX_Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #25
Registered Member

rbhollabaugh curious why is your 269113500 for the usec/gallon parameter Value different then wiki's? I just installed it and i found wikis to be on high side but yours is working just right per 1hr of driving and looking at instant MPGS when driving on 5th 50mph. If anyone else with VX and mpguino can chime in and provide their values I would really appreciate it. Can anyone fill me in on rest of the settings please.

VSS PULSES/MINUTE = 8208 per wiki page

Microsec/Gallon = please provide yours and why is yours different? Using rbhollabaugh

Pulses/2Rev = 1 per wiki

Timeout =

Tank Gal = 10000 (mine tank always seems like 10 gal)

Injector DelayuS = ???????????????????? PROBABLY IMPORTANT

Weight (lbs) = 2094

Scratchpad (odo?) = what is this?

VSS DELAY MS = ???????????????????? PROBABLY IMPORTANT

INJTRG 0-DN 1-UP =???????????????...WHAT IS THIS? PROBABLY IMPORTANT

Also what is the difference between current and instant mpgs screens?
sebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #26

usec/gallon I got from here:
MPGuino release one workspace - Page 21 - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com
N2UAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #27
Registered Member

That's great. Thank you but can you provide remaining of the settings as well. I'm more concerned with rest as they are unknown values to me
Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #28

It's been a while. I don't recall changing anything other settings from what was in the code.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhollabaugh View Post
It's been a while. I don't recall changing anything other settings from what was in the code.
Thanks a lot rbhollabaugh. Would you be so kind and check? I got finger happy and changed settings from default on delays and do not know what they are? Pulling the power from guino does not work as they are in EMPROM from what i read and stays there. Here is one observation. Default value for car weight is 34xx lbs which is NOT what our VX weights which is 2094 lbs, so that's definitely not accurate. I'm asking for those value as if that's wrong so probably are other settings.

Did you find MPGuino to be accurate? Also if you don't mind checking all those settings I would REALLY appreciate it. NO ONE anywhere provides any of those values. Settings should be a sticky.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #30

My code is from 2010. And I changed a couple things. But here's the config values from the first few lines of code.
#define usedefaults true
unsigned long parms[]={45ul,8208ul,269113500ul,3ul,60ul,10300ul,500ul,2 400ul,0ul,2ul};//default values
char * parmLabels[]={"Contrast","VSS Pulses/Mile", "MicroSec/Gallon","Pulses/2 revs","Timout Minutes","Tank Gal * 1000","Injector DelayuS","Weight (lbs)","Scratchpad(odo?)","VSS Delay ms"};

I don't think the car weight actually does anything in the code.
I've found the guino to be fairly accurate as compared to mpg calcs based on the gas pump gallons and car trip odometer.