personal bests - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

personal bests

I have acquired another Metro, a 4D automatic again. Today, just saw the best mpg ever from it or the last one by a big margin: 50.3 mpg! The best I'd seen before was 46.0 mpg, on the last one. Usually, I only get 36 or 38 mpg, and have to be happy those times I can break 40 mpg.

I suppose five things gave me such good mpg. It was the return trip so the engine was still warm. And at some 25 miles, the trip was long enough to warm the engine up. I was going north and there were strong south winds of about 20 mph. I was doing about 35 to 40 mph on the side streets instead of 60 on the freeway, and I managed to time just about every light so I was able to roll through on green. I have not yet done anything special to the car other than inflate the tires to a wimpy 35 psi (what the sidewalls said the max was). Am waiting for Mar 5th for the primaries here in Texas to end before grabbing some coroplast signs to use to for grill blocking and such.

bzipitidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Good job, keep setting the bar higher and higher and you'll be amazed at what you can achieve.

I have a 95 1L manual. Before I ever paid attention to gas mileage I think I was getting high 30's (hard to say though as I didnt pay attention and calculations were off). I remember once after driving alot I took note of my miles and was stunned to see 45.5mpg! I worked alittle harder and hit 53mpg, I though this was my max. People on here said keep up the good work and I'd be in the 60's. I started averaging 55-60mpg. One time I went all-out on half a tank and got 78.01mpg. And keep in mind, this is all practically stock.

Im averaging at 45mpg now but plan on hitting 80mpg this spring with alittle more practice