PIB as a fuel additive - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2006, 02:43 PM   #31
FE nut

I'm using it right now but

I'm using it right now but with the winter gas, I haveb't noticed much of an increase.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:21 AM   #32
Registered Member

PIB as a fuel additive!

I made the following mix to add to my 25 gallon fillup last week and filled up this morning. Worked out to 22 mpg exactly. This was with bad traffic two days out of that week. I haven't gotten 22 since summer! This is the best winter mileage I have had so far. Thanks for the tip!

7.5 ounces Acetone
5 ounces Xylene
5 cc Torco GP-7
2 ounces Ethos FR

Add entire contents to 25 gallons

I am trying the following mixture this week. This is the one recommended by Louis LaPonte.

1 ounce Xylene
1 ounce Torco GP-7
14 ounces Acetone

Add 3 ounces for every 10 gallons. I am trying his since he has been doing this for years and see which is better.

jamescartagena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:28 PM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
PIB as a fuel additive!

WOH that is quite a mixture - will have to lookup the Ethos FR and price some Xylene...
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:31 PM   #34
*shrug*

Ethos FR has been discussed

Ethos FR has been discussed here previously.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:41 AM   #35
Registered Member

PIB as a fuel additive!

Added the second mixture to a full tank of gasoline and actually noticed a drop in economy. I attribute that to the different gasoline I used this time. I always fill up at the same gas station in Pennsylvania, but this time I filled up in Maryland where I work. It is oxygenated and after a few miles I noticed a difference in how the vehicle ran. Felt like I didn't add any additive. Power was less also. Noticed the same thing before when I added a few gallons of Maryland gas just to get back home. I'm estimating about 19 mpg so far. This is the worst mileage I had had in over a year. I will drive until empty and add a few gallons to try to flush this gas out.
I used the same mixture in my wife's minivan with PA gasoline and she is noticing an improvement in mileage so I'm pretty sure it is the gas. A coworker notices the same thing. When he adds a few gallons of MD gas to get back home to Hanover, PA he notices the difference in terms of less power and economy. I'm running out of Ethos FR, I believe it is $21.95 with Shipping and Handling for 16 ounces and Xylene costs $12 for a gallon.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:51 AM   #36
Registered Member

PIB as a fuel additive!

Xylene price is about the same I paid for Acetone $12.99 at Ace Hardware but I had a $5 coupon... They have Xylene there also - will check it out . . . Thanks! Ace Gallon Xylene $10.99

Sounds like you got some gas with alcohol in it - I hear it kills the effect of the other additives.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:52 AM   #37
Registered Member

PIB as a fuel additive!

It didn't say on the pump but after looking at an Exxon Mobil map from June 2004, (It may be outdated) Maryland uses reformulated gas. Right now I am at 1/2 tank and usually I get about 310 miles to a 1/2 tank. Right now the odometer is at 285. Same driving habits and everything. I feel sorry for the MD drivers. They don't know what they are missing. Even the loss of power is noticeable!

I'm sticking to good old regular gas from now on.

Old 02-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #38
Registered Member

Acetone and BIP problems

I found the following post in pes_acetone message 1421 and I am wondering at what concentrations of GP-7 we should start to be concerned with when using it with acetone. My friend with the F150 mixed the acetone and the GP-7 with some gas in a beer bottle and dumped the mixture into the tank when he filled it up and threw the bottle away so I don't know if the stuff mixed or not. Looks like some testing is needed.

"DO NOT USE TORCO EAL IN YOUR FUEL!!

Acetone does not mix with PIB. I have melted pure PIB in various solvents like toluene and if you pour acetone in a little, the PIB turns to gum."
Old 02-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #39
*shrug*

How much does this torco

How much does this torco stuff cost again? Since acetone seems to do the devil's work to my gas mileage I'm looking for something else,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #40
FE nut

Re: How much does this torco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
How much does this torco stuff cost again? Since acetone seems to do the devil's work to my gas mileage I'm looking for something else,
$8.20/500 ml bottle+ s&h http://www.torcousa.com/products/product_detail.asp?intProductsGroupIDPK=2

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote