Poll: Adopt the EPA's "New" FE Figures? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Adopt the New EPA Estimates?
Yes 25 69.44%
No 6 16.67%
I dunno, ummm... 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #41
Supporting Member

Matt -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
Let it be known...

We will be switching to the new standard, but it will not be enforced until I have programmed a viable way to select these values from the EPA database. It will probably take me an afternoon of coding to get it done. The next few days will be a sort of limbo I guess.

When the switch is official, I will be removing EVERYONE's EPA values from the garage. This is because there is no way for me to know who changed their values to the new ones. I will also send an email to everyone reminding them to enter the new EPA values.
Thanks for programming this. I think this is the best way to get us all on the same page.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #42
Registered Member

Matt, your life would be made easier if you add a manual/auto transmission indicator to the garage entries..

Old 03-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #43
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewbe View Post
Matt, your life would be made easier if you add a manual/auto transmission indicator to the garage entries..
that's been discussed and will be implimented as soon as I have time away from the job that pays me.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #44
Registered Member

Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ZX2 View Post
I did research the reasons EPA cited as above. What does this have to do with researching whether other FE sites are changing or not? Or whether these are truly official EPA ratings?

Did you read the rest of my reply??
I read your full post, but from my dealings with other FE sites, I'm not concerned with how they're handling the situation; I'm more concerned how GasSavers plans to handle it with its current setup.

Also, I'm not sure which sites you have referenced in this discussion, nor how they have planned to deal with the changes. There are concerns presented throughout this thread that need to be managed from this site's perspective.

I see GasSavers as a leader and not a follower, when compared to other "FE Sites". Granted we should learn of others mistakes and/or from our History, but I haven't been convinced of either in this discussion.

Please enlighten.

RH77
Old 03-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #45
Driving on E

Quote:
Matt, I believe we are getting sucked in on this one. These are not the official EPA numbers at this time. These are not the ratings shown when you go the standard EPA fuel economy site. I believe the car manufacturers have put pressure on EPA to change the older car ratings. Why else would they change them?

My thought is that when car buyers start thinking and talking of gas mileage, invariably the mention of "what happened to the Geos rated at 58 MPG, what happened to the 50+ MPG Hondas" comes up. "Why don't they have better MPG cars now instead of worse?" If the new estimates do become official ratings, people won't even be able to find the original ratings for the good mileage rated cars they thought they remembered.

Just what the car manufacturers would like, (the mushroom syndrome: They keep you in the dark and they feed you only crap).

I have not researched but comments I have read would lead me to believe that other FE sites have much reservation about this issue. I just hope that the decision to change at Gassavers will not diminish the excellent esteem that the GS site enjoys. And the members along with it.
I do plan on displaying a disclaimer with every EPA rating explaining why GasSavers uses the new standard. WIth any luck this will eliminate the confusion a little.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
I read your full post, but from my dealings with other FE sites, I'm not concerned with how they're handling the situation; I'm more concerned how GasSavers plans to handle it with its current setup.

Also, I'm not sure which sites you have referenced in this discussion, nor how they have planned to deal with the changes. There are concerns presented throughout this thread that need to be managed from this site's perspective.

I see GasSavers as a leader and not a follower, when compared to other "FE Sites". Granted we should learn of others mistakes and/or from our History, but I haven't been convinced of either in this discussion.

Please enlighten.

RH77
Hitler and Napoleon also thought they were leaders. Recently Sirius Radio thought they were being leaders when they hired Howard Stern. Now they are all down the tube. So are Sirius stockholders.

EPA. Like it or not for many years EPA has been the accepted universal standard for MPG ratings and the comparison for measurement of improvement. There is no viable replacement for EPA ratings. GS is about to change to comparisons that are NOT official EPA ratings at this time and may never be so. I am not very sure how onlookers will view this. It may be damaging to our credibility. I hope not, but hope never got me much gas mileage.
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #47
Driving on E

Quote:
Hitler and Napoleon also thought they were leaders. Recently Sirius Radio thought they were being leaders when they hired Howard Stern. Now they are all down the tube. So are Sirius stockholders.

EPA. Like it or not for many years EPA has been the accepted universal standard for MPG ratings and the comparison for measurement of improvement. There is no viable replacement for EPA ratings. GS is about to change to comparisons that are NOT official EPA ratings at this time and may never be so. I am not very sure how onlookers will view this. It may be damaging to our credibility. I hope not, but hope never got me much gas mileage.
CO ZX2, I do think you have some excellent points.

I do wish, however, that you could have addressed them without the hostility and excessive sarcasm. It really makes having a constructive discussion difficult.

I may figure out a way to include both EPA figures.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #48
Registered Member

*sigh* fellas, please, this is about what shows up on a report after the raw mpg top 10 report and what shows up on the in-house signature if you choose to use it, got nothing to do with hitler, or much else for that matter!

since hitler has been mentioned I am invoking godwins law and declaring this thread officially terminated
Old 03-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #49
Registered Member

2 Responses

Quote:
*sigh* fellas, please, this is about what shows up on a report after the raw mpg top 10 report and what shows up on the in-house signature if you choose to use it, got nothing to do with hitler, or much else for that matter!

since hitler has been mentioned I invoking godwins law and declaring this thread officially terminated
Godwins Law: OK -- now this is funny.

Now down to business, as I provoked this response.

Serious Response to CO ZX2:

Martin Luther King, Jr., FDR, and John F. Kennedy were also leaders -- good ones. Open-minded ones. There's no need to compare controversial Historical figures when it comes to the point at hand -- whom frankly could be taken very offensively. This poll was started to get some educated opinions on the subject. So far, in this Democratic society, the people have spoken and have agreed with the new figures. So has Matt -- another great leader. I merely asked for some specifics regarding your post(s) and the topic has been blown way out of proportion. I'm sorry you feel this way.

-Rick (RH77)
Old 03-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #50
Driving on E

Quote:

since hitler has been mentioned I am invoking godwins law and declaring this thread officially terminated
don't forget this one, which I find appropriate for this thread:

How to win any argument on the internet