Poll: Adopt the EPA's "New" FE Figures? - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Adopt the New EPA Estimates?
Yes 25 69.44%
No 6 16.67%
I dunno, ummm... 5 13.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #51
Tuggin at the surly bonds

OkeeeDokee...

Old 03-05-2007, 05:27 PM   #52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
skewbe
The Make/Model is a starting point that gives everyone, old and new, a point of reference. I think the Make/Model is important because it helps us to know the drivetrain of each car and help each other with things we know or have learned.
CarloSW2
So in my case how should I proceed? I've swapped the drivetrain from one car into another. I pulled the diesel engine out of a VW and installed it in place of a gasoline engine in a VW. Should I use the EPA (either the old or the '08 modified) numbers from the gasoline car or from the engine donor diesel? I'm presently using the (pre-'08) EPA gasoline numbers for the vehicle as it was built by the factory.
When do modifications to one vehicle make it, for all intents and purposes, another vehicle?

As far as the pre or post '08 numbers go: I'd think that using the EPA number valid at the time of manufacture could be the value entered by a member. That number could then be used to "convert" to an 08 equivalent using a fixed factor. If an '07 "loses" 15% compared to the same, but '08 model, then the factor would be a loss of 15%. A 2000 with an EPA combined of 36 mpg would be entered by the member as 36 mpg, but the value used for comparison would be 30.6 mpg or 15% less.
Yeah, that means a software rewrite to fudge all 2007 and older by 15% but leaving everything after that model year un-fudged. I don't envy you the task.

Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #53
*shrug*

We decided a while back to stick with the car you bought it as/it was built as. If you go through the trouble to do a tranny swap or such to get better mileage, that should be noted.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:19 PM   #54
Supporting Member

Lug_Nut -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
So in my case how should I proceed? I've swapped the drivetrain from one car into another. I pulled the diesel engine out of a VW and installed it in place of a gasoline engine in a VW. Should I use the EPA (either the old or the '08 modified) numbers from the gasoline car or from the engine donor diesel? I'm presently using the (pre-'08) EPA gasoline numbers for the vehicle as it was built by the factory.
When do modifications to one vehicle make it, for all intents and purposes, another vehicle?

As far as the pre or post '08 numbers go: I'd think that using the EPA number valid at the time of manufacture could be the value entered by a member. That number could then be used to "convert" to an 08 equivalent using a fixed factor. If an '07 "loses" 15% compared to the same, but '08 model, then the factor would be a loss of 15%. A 2000 with an EPA combined of 36 mpg would be entered by the member as 36 mpg, but the value used for comparison would be 30.6 mpg or 15% less.
Yeah, that means a software rewrite to fudge all 2007 and older by 15% but leaving everything after that model year un-fudged. I don't envy you the task.
What SVOboy said. Now on to muddier waters.

If I were you I would have wanted to choose the EPA numbers that match the new drivetrain, because in my mind, the drivetrain is the dominant factor. However, those numbers may not be available in cases where the new drivetrain doesn't have an EPA equivalent. In that case, I would have done exactly what you have done, i.e. use what is available.

The key is that you have *documented* the origin of your EPA figures and what you have done to the car. Fine by me.

I think that over time there are going to be some cars that are "far out there" in terms of what the EPA can support. What will DaX do about his Honda Beat, and what will ToeCutter do when his electric is finished?

In terms of programming, Matt is already going to issue a "Reset" for all our EPA numbers. I don't have a problem with this, especially if the new EPA mechanism is able to "pull" the numbers from the website. In it's present form it is actually more error prone than what I *think* Matt is proposing.

Imagine if we were an even bigger website of say 10,000 or more members. Now that would be a mess!!!!!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #55
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
I do plan on displaying a disclaimer with every EPA rating explaining why GasSavers uses the new standard. WIth any luck this will eliminate the confusion a little.
I was hoping you would do something like that.

I just changed my figures (you can see it in my signature).

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #56
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
I do plan on displaying a disclaimer with every EPA rating explaining why GasSavers uses the new standard. WIth any luck this will eliminate the confusion a little.
This sounds like a plan, lets get started.

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote