Pontiac Vibe .... has vortex generators from factory? *pics* - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Pontiac Vibe .... has vortex generators from factory? *pics*

After reading so much about aerodynamics lately, and then trying to reduce the drag on my car I realized something. I think Pontiac tried to make a VG of sorts on my car. Look at these pictures and let me know what you think.

The rear bumper has them, each corner has them, and even the brake light cover has them ... hmmmm

Below front bumper:

Future MODS = Removable lower grill block, Clear fog covers, 195 deg. therm, Rear spoiler, Full belly pan
Markmysite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
i dont think those are vortex generators...i think they are just to try to enhance the style.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
i dont think those are vortex generators...i think they are just to try to enhance the style.

That's what I thought at first too. The more I've read about aerodynamics though, they do seem like they would cause the wind to change pressure gradients a little as they come around the sides, go under the front, and come up from underneath the rear. I doubt it is enough to do that much, but there are studies that show tiny little zig zag like stickers do change the wind coming off the surface.

A lot of people don't like the ones on the corners and mod them out with new body panels. The Matrix never had them and have always had the smooth look. They are removed in the 2009 Vibe model now.

I dunno, it just made me think as I was looking at my pics when posting them up.
Future MODS = Removable lower grill block, Clear fog covers, 195 deg. therm, Rear spoiler, Full belly pan
Old 08-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmysite View Post
After reading so much about aerodynamics lately, and then trying to reduce the drag on my car I realized something. I think Pontiac tried to make a VG of sorts on my car. Look at these pictures and let me know what you think.

The rear bumper has them, each corner has them, and even the brake light cover has them ... hmmmm

Below front bumper:
I think its like GM blocking out the rear wheelwells and removing the aerial antennas on their cars in the 70's. They didn't do it for FE, they did it for style. Like an aerial antenna would really effect the FE on my Buick or on Rusty anyway, but they do not have external antennas.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I think its like GM blocking out the rear wheelwells and removing the aerial antennas on their cars in the 70's. They didn't do it for FE, they did it for style. Like an aerial antenna would really effect the FE on my Buick or on Rusty anyway, but they do not have external antennas.

-Jay
You're probably both right that Pontiac did it for styling reasons. I wonder how much it does help drag though and if that was part of the engineers plan?