Potential problem with my new engine/transmission in my civic - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #11
*shrug*

No, I mean matt's clutch. Slipping making the engine not transfer it's powa to the wheelz.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:00 PM   #12
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
No, I mean matt's clutch. Slipping making the engine not transfer it's powa to the wheelz.
Ugh... I hope not... that would require me to pull the engine again to replace it.

I checked the mechanical timing and it appears to be right on. The electrical timing might be a bit off though. I just picked a random spot for it when I tightened the distributor.

I so hope it's not hte clutch... it only has 60k (or less) on it, so I really don't think that's the issue. (at least I hope it's not)

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:01 PM   #13
*shrug*

Try to start up in a high gear and see how it goes.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:03 PM   #14
Driving on E

Quote:
Try to start up in a high gear and see how it goes.
How's that test work again? Start in a high gear and then what?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I just picked a random spot for it when I tightened the distributor.
That's where I'd put my money. Have fun working on it in your non-sleeping-yet time zone. I'll see how it turned out tomorrow.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #16
*shrug*

I always just put my dizzy somewhere random. If I recall correctly it doesn't change the timing unless the service connector is jumpered when you change it, that could be BS though.

Anyway, just put it in 4th or 5th and try to get going without killing the car, you shouldn't be able to.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #17
Driving on E

Quote:
I always just put my dizzy somewhere random. If I recall correctly it doesn't change the timing unless the service connector is jumpered when you change it, that could be BS though.

Anyway, just put it in 4th or 5th and try to get going without killing the car, you shouldn't be able to.
So basically start it, put it in 5th, and try to drive? If the clutch is good the car will die, if it's bad it will rev like it's in nuetral, right?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #18
Registered Member

If it's the clutch going, you can drop it with no gas in second or third and the car won't stall. If the clutch can slow down the engine enough to stall it in those gears, depending on gearing, it's usually o.k.
A bad plug or wire should result in exactly those symptoms. Obviously if one or more cylinders aren't firing it'll vibrate at idle, and you'll be down on power. The hot engine bay is also consistent because the injector is still dumping fuel into the cylinder and into the exhaust, where it gets burnt by the cat and makes loads of heat.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #19
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
If it's the clutch going, you can drop it with no gas in second or third and the car won't stall. If the clutch can slow down the engine enough to stall it in those gears, depending on gearing, it's usually o.k.
A bad plug or wire should result in exactly those symptoms. Obviously if one or more cylinders aren't firing it'll vibrate at idle, and you'll be down on power. The hot engine bay is also consistent because the injector is still dumping fuel into the cylinder and into the exhaust, where it gets burnt by the cat and makes loads of heat.
Makes perfect sense. The wires are new, so I'll get new plugs tomorrow. This could be an easy fix afterall
Old 08-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #20
Driving on E

Okay, I figured it out *hits head*

I had spark plug wire #2 and #3 switched around... fixed it and it ran like a charm.

Now i just need to lower the idle and get the hood to close.