Project: 1980 Buick LeSabre, 4.1L V6, 5MT - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #31
Site Team / Moderator

Re: Project: 1980 Buick LeSabre, 4.1L V6, 5MT

Those chokes get sticky after many years. I've NEVER had to replace one in any of my Rochester carbed vehicles (and I've had many over the years). A liberal application of Gumout carb cleaner always got them working properly.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #32
Site Team / Moderator

Oh, and check the A/C idle solenoid to make sure that's not stuck engaged...

EDIT: Other things to check that may have gotten screwy in the tranny swap...

Throttle cable adjustment

Cruise control actuator adjustment (There should be an ever so slight amount of slack in this chain (although its a cable on some vehicles, and a linkage on others, but usually a chain) with the choke and A/C off, engine warm.

Also, if the engine is running rich, and there's a vacuum leak, it will idle abnormally high.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Good thoughts, I should check all of those things.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I think my choke is stuck on, or maladjusted. It idles way too fast even after driving 20 miles. It's got a brand new pull-off but I guess that's not good enough. I have to research how the choke system works...I think I'd rather just have a manual choke.
Is the butterfly not open all the way when the engine is hot?

There is a fast idle cam that usually connected to the choke mechanism that bumps up the idle (keeps the throttle butterfly from closing all of the way) when the engine is cold- maybe this linkage isn't releasing properly as the choke butterfly opens.

Some carbs had a fast idle (cold idle) adjustment screw as well as a normal idle speed adjustment screw.

You should also have idle mixture adjustment screws that you can use to fine tune the idle mixture.

In my opinion, manual chokes can be a bit more fussy when cold than auto chokes- you just have to remember to fiddle with them/bump them open for the first few minutes as the engine warms up.

You could likely rob a throttle control from an old push mower and rig one up on a trial basis to see how you liked it.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 AM   #35
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

I'll have to get a good look at the butterfly, and everything else, if I ever get a chance while it's not dark out. Stupid short days.

There is a label on the car saying that idle speed is not adjustable due to emissions. Research indicates that the screws are absent or epoxied. I should try to get a better look at it myself but I don't know carburetors and don't know where to look for them.

I like the mower throttle control idea for if I am going to try manual choke. I was trying to figure out how to do it with a bicycle derailer cable and shifter or brake handle but the mower stuff may work better. I have one that can donate its cable and lever.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #36
Site Team / Moderator

The mixture adjustment screws are set behind metal plugs which are installed after its set at the factory. There is no easy way to get them out to adjust it without ruining the carb. Remember, this is the last year before computer control. Buick started computer controlling their V-6's in 1981.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #37
Registered Member

It decided to cooperate while I was driving home today and settled down to a decent idle, though not the 650RPM that it's supposed to be.

I think it was skipping more than when it was stuck in fast idle...maybe it's running lean when the choke isn't stuck?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #38
Site Team / Moderator

Unless you have a brand new engine & carb in that car there is no way you will get it to idle decently at 650 RPM. 750-800 should be good.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:40 AM   #39
Registered Member

With the non-adjustable carb, idling higher than 650 tells me that it's not actually idling at all. That's the problem I want to work on. Then if it's necessary to bring the idle up, I guess I'd have to hack the choke or the A/C throttle actuator solenoid (whatever that thing is called). Basically, I'm looking to cure a failure, followed by replacing it with a hack if necessary.

Realistically if it continues behaving with this 800-900 RPM idle I probably won't feel motivated enough to mess with it. This morning it behaved almost decently again.

However, first I have to get a tachometer on there. My biotachometer ears used to be very accurate but they could be maladjusted from disuse.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #40
Site Team / Moderator

No, you have high and low idle adjustment screws on the left side of the carb by the choke. You can set it at 650 RPM, but my guess is that it will probably stall when you try to move.