Project KBA, KMA - Page 9 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2006, 08:54 AM   #81
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
I thought about doing it myself but the areas that are rusted are difficult to work on. Forming steel/aluminum around the wheel well curve could be a problem. Any ideas?

How bad is the rust around the wheel well's? Take some pictures and post them. If it's not to bad, I'd just put some rust oxidized you can get at Home Depot on, let it oxide the rust, so it won't rust anymore and then get some fiberglass and fix it with that.

I have some rust on wagon that needs to be dealt with.

If it's more structural, then I'd get it welded, either do it yourself or have a body shop do it. It's not that difficult, so much as it's an issue of having the right tool's. For very small jobs, Weller makes a Oxy-Map gas welder that you can do very light brazing with. It works Ok, but the Oxygen bottles are $10 ea. and they are good for about 5 minutes of welding, so that get's pretty pricey.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:22 AM   #82
Registered Member

I haven't seen the rust yet. I do have the rust inhibitor stuff and will apply that first to keep it from getting any worse. Then I will decide what to spend the extra money on. I just spend $110 on plane tickets to Chicago. I fly in Monday morning and will get the temp tags and install the SuperMID. Depending on how late it is I will either leave for home on Monday or stay the night on Tuesday.

Ben,
What should I use for a fuel parameter?

The buyer of the Del Sol is on his way from Detriot and will be meeting me in 3-4 hours.

Yay!

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:32 AM   #83
*shrug*

Ben still doesn't know what to do with the fuel parameter, it seems he is waiting for the next fill up so he can swap MID chips and set it properly all while parked at the gas station store. Anyway, it was off 11% from the odometer-adjusted fill up, so I think it needs to be the prius level + 11%, hopefully next fill up will clear this up a bit.

I keep resetting my tank average by accident though, so I guess it actually won't, so I'll just reset it to +11% and see what happens on the 3rd fill up.

Boy, I suck,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:38 AM   #84
Driving on E

Dan,

Assume the VSS is the same as the del sol, but the injectors are smaller (190cc). This should give you a good baseline. When you get home and fill up you should be able to correct your MPG readings and then return and report.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:39 AM   #85
*shrug*

190cc my tuckus!

EDIT: *shrug* though, I have my ecu set to 190cc for fuel values an sometimes I get some symptoms that that might be wrong, but I can't tell if it's that or bad airflow from the mismatched IM or what, who knows. If the injectors are indeed a different size then I'm prolly running quite a bit rich,
Old 06-29-2006, 10:06 AM   #86
Registered Member

Matt, when Ben says that his is set for 190cc, what he really means is that he scaled the value that I arrived at for my 240cc. My value is 11067. A larger number will lower the amount of fuel registered so the formula for scaling would be 11067*240/190 = 13979. I assume that is what you are using Ben.

The Prius has 166cc injectors but the fuel parameter for it is 13515 so that really doesn't make sense when you plot the injector size with relation to the fuel parameter. In fact Ben says he is still off by 11% so 15516 might be a better number for the 190cc. Maybe Toyota and Honda rate thier injectord differently. Maybe nominal rating for one and max for the other. They could also run different pressures.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:45 AM   #87
Registered Member

I had some luck repairing small rust spots on my old Volvo with POR15 products. These were small holes, so I just started with my Dremel and a wire brush to clean it up, then applied the rust inhibitors (two stages...a cleaning/neutralizing solution and then a rust inhibiting primer). Where the metal was still good I just used a rattle can of touch-up paint. They make an epoxy putty, too, which is what I used for the small hole in the hood. It wasn't perfect but kept the rust from spreading. (Until the car was hit, that is ) That was about the best I could do without welding skills.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:08 AM   #88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
You whine too much:
Yeah, I saw that on eBay earlier this week. Fun car, but too bad about the original VX. If I had know people were just throwing away these motors I would have...

Hey! Whaddya mean I whine too much??!!

Have you been talking to my wife?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:10 AM   #89
*shrug*

Hehe, I was just giving an example of true abuse. Anyway, I think swapping the vxs frees up the motors for people like us,

Besides, the light chassis with the turbo cars improves their mileage over the other option of everyone owning an si.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:34 PM   #90
Registered Member

The Del Sol is gone now...... Sniff, Sniff.

$4500 cash in hand.... Yay!

Flying to Chicago Monday morning to pick up the VX and install the MID... Yay!