Project: KDA (Engine and Auto to Manual Swap) - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2006, 01:31 PM   #61
*shrug*

How-To: Screwing Up an Injector Swap

So I sold my 240cc injectors to get money for this swap, including my integra cluster, but I had the 190s from the engine I'm putting in, so I said I'd use them. I did and didn't have time to fix the chip in the ecu, so yesterday the car ran terribly, besides having a huge fuel leak.

Today though:

I smell gas driving to work, pop the hood, oh yeah, gushing gas all over...
Then I get on lunch and am going to go to autozone to get some o-ring since I figure that's the problem. The car won't start, I left the lights on. So I get the jump pack, start it, go to close the hood, gas is spraying all over. Go to autozone, they can't figure out what o-ring I need. Burn myself badly removing the injectors from a hot engine, go in, they don't have it, I go and buy some RTV, drop the injector on the way out, break it, say screw it and stick in in, covering everything with rtv (I did have a messed up o-ring, by the way). No more leak, but the battery died again, had to jump it, was 45 minutes late from lunch, and I just sucked in general. So, be careful when you swap injectors.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #62
Registered Member

wow. fun!

did you swear? i swore at the forkenswift several times while brazing. and i burned myself (but only once, which i think is not bad for a novice in roughly 12 hours of torch use).

a long time ago i had a rubber fuel line split while driving one of my many (consecutive) rabbits. this was in ottawa traffic. could smell gas while stopped at a light, and then saw the puddle after pulling away. hmmm, i thought.

pulled onto a side street just as it pumped the final drop onto the road and coasted to a halt in front of a construction site. borrowed a knife and screwdriver from a guy and mcgyvered it on the side of the road.

only now i had no gas.

i called my room-mate and asked him to fill up the 1 gallon plastic gas can which we had recently scored as a promotion at a bar (the beer came in it). he got a taxi to my location and all ended well.

that's my gas leak story.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:57 PM   #63
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
So, be careful when you swap injectors.
After hearing your story, I think I will keep the ones that I have thank you.

So did you really break one of the injectors?

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #64
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG

did you swear? i swore at the forkenswift several times while brazing.
I did swear. When I dropped the injector I said "god damn." Which is pretty bad cuz I don't like to swear with christian words, because that's offensive, even though I don't care about christianity, might as well not offend them unless I have too...

I don't like to swear at the car though, my dad does that and I h8 him for it, while he's working on it I mean.

Dan: Yes, I broke all the plastic on the bottom that goes into the IM, I'd take a picture, but I won't press my luck until I get a replacement.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #65
Registered Member

Did you swap the injector to a smaller size for FE and do you have to reprogram the ECU.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #66
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
Did you swap the injector to a smaller size for FE and do you have to reprogram the ECU.
I swapped them mainly to sell the other ones, cuz I'm not able to honestly afford all this stuff,

Anyway, the smaller injectors should have a finer spray pattern so on the super small scale they help with FE, and yes, I had to reprogram the ECU to know that they were 190cc, serious issues before I did that,
Old 05-19-2006, 04:47 PM   #67
*shrug*

Just a few preview shots of some mini-DIYs on the way and of the progress so far on the swap!

Valve cover pre letter sanding:

On the engine like woah:

Progress hint: Valve cover all done, haven't gotten seals, will do so tomorrow, so that'll be all down and never taken off again until the swap happens, looking forward to that.

Water pump and timing belt done, how-tos to come in this thread with a bunch of cutie pictures.

Updated my price listings on the front pages, damn expensive me.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #68
Registered Member

I'm curious do you think that if you could increase the fuel pressure to the nozzels would that help the spray pattern or do you think that they would just leak under the pressure.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:00 PM   #69
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
I'm curious do you think that if you could increase the fuel pressure to the nozzels would that help the spray pattern or do you think that they would just leak under the pressure.
I'm not sure. I would have to ask someone more knowledgible (spelling?) about that, because I'm not quite sure how fuel pressure affects the spray pattern. It wouldn't be too hard to do, just getting an FPR and changing the fuel maps on the ecu again.

I will ask a few people I know though.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #70
Registered Member

good thread, svo. things are going full steam ahead.

where do you work that you have access to a shop & machining tools?

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote