propane motorcycle? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
propane motorcycle?

at some point I would like to try converting my honda cb125 to propane, I'm sure that at some point in history someone has done something simaler to a motorcycle.
it's carburator for gasoline is 22mm, and the engine is about 12hp, I assume that the most reliable way to convert it would be to find a carburator for converting a small generator engine to propane, right? I'm sure some adjusting of the timing would be needed as well, but I've never done anything like this befor, so does anyone know of any good information? I would like to keep the cost under $500.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Registered Member

Propane Motorcycle

You can have the bike running easily. Simply use the carburator (mixer) and regulator from a propane powered floor buffer. You will need to adapt the mixer to your current intake manifold and fabricate some means of holding the tank. The tank is really the stumbing block as the standard barbque tank is too big to easily mount on a bike and it is also too thin to be safe in a crash. Moreover the tank is "vapor only" so its output in btu's is limited but it will work on a small motorcycle like the one noted. If a proper tank were available the conversion of virtually all scopoters and small motorcycles would be simple. BTW, the above is not idle speculation as I have done all of the above and am currently building a Buell (Harley Davidson) powered bike .http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o...opane%20Buell/

Rharms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
What about those Coleman tanks for portable gas bbqs?
Old 09-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

I also would agree that a propane tank cannot be safely secured onto a motorcycle. The only way I'm thinking maybe is if you mounted the propane tank in a sidecar...

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote