Propane power? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletek View Post
I would run propane if the government would stay out of it, but they don't want people to run propane. It's a much cleaner fuel, and weighs less, as well.
Well at the present time they can't encourage people to run propane, because there's not enough propane. That's probably why they "don't want" people to run it. If demand for propane went silly, they'd be flashing off millions of BTUs of natural gas at the rigs for the thousands of BTUs of propane that came with it.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
Registered Member

I work as a maintenance technician/mechanic for an airline catering company... our dominant catering truck is a Ford F700 with 429ci PROPANE powered engine.

Its not all as easy as your thinking.

There is a propane regulator consisting of a dozen or so diaphragms, there is a propane lock-off which is electronically controlled and told when to open (essentially operates like a throttle body), then there is the carburetor... basically sits on top of a 4 bbl carb + a stacker, it too consists of about 6 diaphragms and is a very tall piece to give the right amount of venturi effect.

In winter, the regulators freeze and the vehicle is uselss for hours... we run HD block heaters to prevent this, but below 15*F, they will still freeze up if not ridiculously maintained.

There really is no troubleshooting... you have a fuel problem.... you spend 2 hours and rebuilt the lock-off and regulator assembly because of ONE microscopic tear in one of the dozen or so diaphragms has caused a leak.

also, you must have a rated tank, and an emergency lock-off valve in the fuel line as well as a high press. emergency relief valve on the tank.

Unless you're a mechanic, with a minor in engineering, I would just leave the whole idea alone... its ugly.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:22 AM   #13
Registered Member

Actually, all my vehicles are equipped w/ Impco parts and I'm routinely changing one diaphragm so often that I know the part number!!

AD1-28-1

I'm just saying, personally I accept the fact that it extends engine life and is relatively easy to work on, but I wouldn't dare try converting an engine over due to the strict maintenance requirements I deal w/ at work.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #14
Registered Member

Glad I ran across this...
I retired my 1992 Suzuki Sidekick after picking up my sister's 2002 Cavalier (cold A/C vs no A/C!).
Now that the Sidekick is sitting in the yard, but otherwise in good working order I want to play around with it.
It's the single injection T/B 1.6 liter monster that I'm looking into converting into propane.
I am interested in completely removing the gas system and going strickly propane.
However, I can not find a "cheap" kit for F.I.'s.
Gopropane has a kit to switch the 1.3L carb Samari's over for off road use.
Can this be done on my 1.6? I think if I swapped in the 1.3 intake manifold and older vaccum distributor then cut out the ECU it might work......? Also the EGR looks like it's vaccumed into the T/B, might not work afterwards?
Anyhow, just had to add my thoughts on this.
BTW the Sidekick has over 200,000 miles and no license plate to deal with.
Might be a BIG job?