pumping gas slowly? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-14-2008, 12:48 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah it was in another thread here on GasSavers from some of our Canada members - they have temperature compensated pumps to 60 F.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
Registered Member

Same pump same station with slope so your filler neck is on the highest corner.

I listen to the gas going in the filler neck and slow down to a trickle when it starts to fill the neck, trying to get it just under the restrictor and below the evaporative emission control vent tube so raw gas doesn't get into the charcoal cannister.

I usually fill up at the same station and same island, but if that is not possible I try to find astation where you can see the grade in the concrete so you can avoid air pockets in the tank that slew you mileage figures.

I guess outside temp could affect the volume theoretically, but the tanks are low enough in the ground where the temps don't change much daily.

With fuel injection and fuel return lines the longer you drive the warmer the fuel in your tank gets which could slew your volume readings.

One trick is to shut off the pump then stick the nozzle in your filler neck and pull the lever and let every last drop drain into your tank. It doesnt meter that amount and it's not a lot but every bit helps.

regards
Gary

Old 04-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
One trick is to shut off the pump then stick the nozzle in your filler neck and pull the lever and let every last drop drain into your tank. It doesnt meter that amount and it's not a lot but every bit helps.
I do this as well.
ihatemybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:20 PM   #14
Registered Member

I use the same pump most of the time, and just fill it up as fast as it will go. As soon as it clicks, I am done. I always pay with ATM card, so even cents doesn't matter to me....
Old 04-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slurp812 View Post
I use the same pump most of the time, and just fill it up as fast as it will go. As soon as it clicks, I am done. I always pay with ATM card, so even cents doesn't matter to me....
Same thing I do. But I use a Wawa credit card and get 4% back of every gas purchase.

I love it.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:36 PM   #16
Registered Member

I saw the topic, and thought I was on the wrong forum
Old 04-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #17
Registered Member

Forgive me for being trite, but do you fill your tires with air slowly and always at the same temperature too? Seriously, putting cold air into the tires isn't going to put the same mass into them as hot, so how can you assure consistency? If you only get the equivalent of 40 psi into your tires at 100F when you really thought you were putting in the equivalent of 45 psi at a lower temperature, doesn't that pretty much make the whole issue of expansion of gasoline pretty much a moot point in comparison?

Does this seem ridiculous to worry about to anybody else?

I know, sometimes it's the journey that matters, but this is some real fine hair splitting on this one.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:35 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Ok I gassed up for another month - seems my tank last about a month now. The nozzle splash guard was sitting in the pump full of gas and it spilled as I took it to fill my xB. Needless to say I released all the pressure in the hose after I filled up and turned the pump off so the next guy didn't gas gas all over himself. The fuel was cold but I didn't bring my Temp probe with me.

I guess I have to check the Synlube site again and find the expansion rate of gasoline to come up with the expansion per degree for ten gallons to get an idea of how much fuel we are talking about here but I thought it was in the 0.2 gallon area for a typical temperature rise. I really do wonder just how much gasoline could evaporate from the tank as you fill it quickly after all we are only talking a few minutes at most of pumping time. I do think however that by pumping slowly you may get a little more gas past the metering system in the pump than it says. In one instance I definately filled my tank to over flowing and pumped in half a gallon less than the Scangauge said I used. I'll take half a gallon for free ANYTIME!!

As far as the air is concerned I think it may be a good idea to fill up on dry days so that you don't get a lot of moisture into the tires and cold air is better than hot air for that reason.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #19
Registered Member

I usually fill it to the top of the filler tube. Some times when the pump stops i can put another 1 to three gallons of fuel. It takes awhile but it is the only way i can get consistent mpg figures. The other way is to run your car out of gas then add one gallon and run out again to see how far you get on that one gallon.
1cheap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:09 AM   #20
Registered Member

I try to make a point to fill up in the morning when it is cooler. During the day fuel is warmer which would make it less dense and has a tendency to evaporates more quickly. Also the warm air absorbs more of the fumes. Would this make much of a difference at one filling? Probably not. But over time I believe it should make a little difference.

jrope is offline   Reply With Quote