Question about having no spare tire+jack (Now with a poll!) - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Remove spare tire & jack? What equipment should be on board? Check all that apply.
Keep spare & jack 14 87.50%
Remove spare & jack 2 12.50%
Use run-flat tires 2 12.50%
Keep a 12v air compressor in the car 9 56.25%
Keep a can of Fix-A-Flat in the car 6 37.50%
Keep a tire plug kit in the car 9 56.25%
Call roadside assistance (AAA, etc.) 6 37.50%
Call friend or family member 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
First off, no, it has absolutely no effect on FE.

Secondly, almost no one who has a spare tire in their trunk keeps it inflated. That spare is useless to you unless it has 60 psi of air pressure in it. When it's low, it looks exactly the same as when it's not. When's the last time you checked yours?

Thirdly, you're better off carrying a battery jumper / air compressor "rescue pack". If for no other reason that to help someone else out. It's better than jumper cables in that you don't damage your own vehicle in the process.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Comments on the above:
  • I've never had a spare tire that was underinflated to the point of uselessness, regardless of never checking inflation.
  • I've had a few portable jumper packs, and they don't replace jumper cables, at least not for a big V8...maybe they're ok for a smaller engine. When fully charged, they're good when the car's battery has almost enough juice to do the job but not quite. Worth carrying, yes; worth replacing jumper cables, no.
  • A big problem with them is keeping them charged. If I'm too lazy to check the inflation of my spare, what makes you think I'll bring it into my house once a week and plug it in?
  • I've never managed to damage anything with jumper cables, and I've used them a million times, on modern computer controlled vehicles as well as old iron.
  • Having an inflator/compressor is really great, and beats changing a low tire on the side of the highway or in the snow. Hook it up and sit in the warm driver's seat listening to the radio, then check on it once every five minutes. You can just pump it up to drive to the service station, or pump it up after plugging it with the plug kit I mentioned earlier (which is still quicker and easier than changing the tire IMO).

Old 02-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
Registered Member

yea never understood not having it, i thought id be years before i got a flat... low and behold last year i was driving and trying to get up a steep hill and had the pedal floored and was dropping speed, shut off the radio listening for any weird engine noises, then kept hearing this whump whump whump noise and was like oh crap flat tire. pulled over indeed it was (all the way flat) got out the jack and lowered the spare and behold had it changed in 5 minutes and was on my way again.

if i didnt have it id either have to call one of my parents to get outa work to go home and get the spare (unlikely to happen, they woulda just said tough luck and call tow truck that woulda taken 30 minutes to get there) so i woulda been waiting around forever.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #14
Registered Member

HC,

maybe one of us should put a message under our name or in our signature similar to theClencher's that says "Just leave the spare where it is dang it!"
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
My sig is full. My sig meta thread has the bit about weight FWIW.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #16
Site Team / Moderator

I agree with HC about never having a spare lose pressure to the point of uselessness. I remember using the donut spare on my Pontiac wagon when it was 13 years old (It was never used before, and I doubt my dad ever checked it because you had to tear apart the car to get to it). @ 13 years the spare was still usable. Dad did keep one of those portable air compressors in the car too, so I guess if it was low I could have topped it off.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
During the summer I carry a can of that inflat-a-tire repair stuff. but during winter I'll carry my (fully inflated ) spare tire and jack with me. I need the extra cargo space during the summer as I haul a bunch of stuff around.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #18
Registered Member

lol that fix a flat crap is a pain, i know lots of tire places that the people working on them hate the crap. ive never had luck with it personally....
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I was one of those tire monkeys that would complain about those fix-a-flat tires that would come in and need a new tire. But in a pinch, it works.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #20
Registered Member

I like good fuel economy but don't want to take too much risk, so I carry the spare tire (fully inflated), the jack and the hand tools, and a pump in both of my cars. I feel good that some say that this bit of additional weight is not going to affect FE (significantly, I guess).
I believe that in many places, the law requires cars to have spare tires unless they have run flat tires.

swng is offline   Reply With Quote