Question about having no spare tire+jack (Now with a poll!) - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Remove spare tire & jack? What equipment should be on board? Check all that apply.
Keep spare & jack 14 87.50%
Remove spare & jack 2 12.50%
Use run-flat tires 2 12.50%
Keep a 12v air compressor in the car 9 56.25%
Keep a can of Fix-A-Flat in the car 6 37.50%
Keep a tire plug kit in the car 9 56.25%
Call roadside assistance (AAA, etc.) 6 37.50%
Call friend or family member 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #51
Site Team

Some tire brands or stores will include lifetime flat repair with the purchase of a tire.

Occasionally a tire might also include free roadhazard coverage (to replace the tire in case of a blowout) but this is usually an extra-charge option.

There are also certain types of punctures that can't be fixed with a plug, for instance if there is a piece of sheetmetal. I had a guy at our shop last weekend who picked up a very large piece of metal that caused more of a slash than a simple hole (about 3/4" long tear on the inside of a tire), and a patch could fix this up nicely.

-BC

Old 02-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #52
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
Roadhazard.

The cut was about 1/2 inch long slit, not a hole punched out with a screw/nail. A circular plug/patch combo from the inside did the job fine.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
First off, no, it has absolutely no effect on FE.

Secondly, almost no one who has a spare tire in their trunk keeps it inflated. That spare is useless to you unless it has 60 psi of air pressure in it. When it's low, it looks exactly the same as when it's not. When's the last time you checked yours?

Thirdly, you're better off carrying a battery jumper / air compressor "rescue pack". If for no other reason that to help someone else out. It's better than jumper cables in that you don't damage your own vehicle in the process.
Actually, I check my spare about once a month. Of course, I have to wonder about the spares, since in the case of the Cad, at least, it is over a quarter century old...

I've never yet damaged any car using jumper cables. I always clamp onto the battery terminals...I know you are not supposed to, (possible ignition of hydrogen gas...oh, the humanity!) but I learned about using jumper cables back when some cars still had positive grounds...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:24 AM   #54
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
Roadhazard.

The cut was about 1/2 inch long slit, not a hole punched out with a screw/nail. A circular plug/patch combo from the inside did the job fine.
Road hazard FTW. Back when I used to destroy a lot of tires, I got lots of free tires that way.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #55
Registered Member

I removed everything and just have a can of fix a flat. I also have puncture resistant tires. that I didn't even know about. I'll take my chances. When I go on a long trips, that spare goes back in.

I agree with what a lot of people are saying. it wastes more gas to have someone come bring you a spare or have a tow truck come to you. And how if you really want to reduce weight remove the rear seats. I personally rather not remove passenger seats for the ocacions that someones actually riding in my car. I rather leave all the interior alone.

This is all pointless if fix a flat actually works. Plus I have cheap stock rims, so if I ruin a rim I can get another one for cheap if not free.
guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #56
Registered Member

well like ive said ive never had good luck with fix a flat... might hold for a few minutes then be flat again
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #57
Registered Member

I carry a plug tool set for into and add the spare for out-of-town trips.
2002 Air Box Mod...Air Tabs (5) on Roof...(3)each behind rear windows
Partial Grill Block with Custom Air Scoop and 3" Open Catback Exhaust
Lambretta UNO150cc 4 Stroke Scooter

DarbyWalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #58
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest001 View Post

This is all pointless if fix a flat actually works. Plus I have cheap stock rims, so if I ruin a rim I can get another one for cheap if not free.
I remember a guy ruining a stock chevy truck rim and the dealership wanted like 250-300 for a new one. It wasn't even a nice chrome one or anything, I think it was one of those regular-looking 5-spoke rims they used so much in the late 90's-early 00's.
KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:59 AM   #59
Site Team / Moderator

A few minutes should get you off the highway and to the next exit.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #60
Registered Member

in some states, i know certian spots around here theres no exits for 10 miles or more and usually if there is its another few miles till the actual town....

could be like nebraska that has signs saying no more exits for 60+ miles LOL

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote