Question about having no spare tire+jack (Now with a poll!) - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Remove spare tire & jack? What equipment should be on board? Check all that apply.
Keep spare & jack 14 87.50%
Remove spare & jack 2 12.50%
Use run-flat tires 2 12.50%
Keep a 12v air compressor in the car 9 56.25%
Keep a can of Fix-A-Flat in the car 6 37.50%
Keep a tire plug kit in the car 9 56.25%
Call roadside assistance (AAA, etc.) 6 37.50%
Call friend or family member 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #61
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
run flats aren't that heavy cause you can only get self-supporting-sidewall runflats in low-profile sizes. maybe 20% heavier than a normal tire the same size but still lighter than a 60-70 sidewall. definitely NOT enough to be a loss. I'll weigh mine when I move tires around later this spring.

fix-a-flat and an inflator pack only work if it's a small puncture that would have been losing air for a long time. those and repair kits also assume that you notice it before the sidewall gives out and that that's the only problem. IE things that would be prevented by periodic checks. fix-a-flat might get you off the road a little ways in a pinch for a larger hole.

as for removing the spare because people never check them.... people aren't really the issue. do YOU check it even once a year? I work in a shop that does a lot of tires and I see them come in all the time at 20, 30, 40 etc psi. is it good...no but it works. and that's a 10 year old spare that's never been checked that only lost 20-30 psi and is still drivable. once a year oughta keep it at least 50 psi.

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #62
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Wouldn't run-flats have a lot of rolling resistance, though?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #63
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Comments on the above:[*]I've never had a spare tire that was underinflated to the point of uselessness, regardless of never checking inflation.
I have. One of the "run flat" tires on my BMW blew out at about 80MPH in downtown Atlanta. I was on a trip from Ohio to Florida. I put the spare on and it was so low that the metal rim was almost touching the ground. I had to drive it like that to the next exit to put air in. Later at about 3am I was on the Florida Turnpike and the spare blew out. I then had to wait until 8am when the closest tire store opened. Not to mention I had a nice $200 tow bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
[*]I've never managed to damage anything with jumper cables, and I've used them a million times, on modern computer controlled vehicles as well as old iron.
I've never had a problem with this either.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
I noticed that one thing that people do in order to save weight is getting rid of the spare tire and jack, just having a roadside assistance plan instead. There is one thing though, how can the road side assistance do their job unless you don't provide them a spare tire and jack to work with? Do they bring their own tire? Do you pay for that tire? How does this all work? I feel like people have overlooked this scenario and think they're set when they're really not.
I would have my woman bring me my tire, if needed. but it could end up being a pain. Fix-a-flat may work as well. So you do have options. I personally don't think its worth it. Lately tho, my mileage has sucked.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:54 AM   #65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
I noticed that one thing that people do in order to save weight is getting rid of the spare tire and jack, just having a roadside assistance plan instead. There is one thing though, how can the road side assistance do their job unless you don't provide them a spare tire and jack to work with? Do they bring their own tire? Do you pay for that tire? How does this all work? I feel like people have overlooked this scenario and think they're set when they're really not.
I cleaned my trunk out bare last spring as I had to use it. I ran for quite a while that way and noticed no difference at all in FE. About 200lbs of various stuff, much more than even a spare would weigh.

I have had several instances where I almost needed the spare. One time I plugged a tire that picked up a nail without even taking it off and aired it up on the spot and continued my drive home. Another time I got a puncture and couldn't find it and stopped 2x on the way home and just pumped it up and kept going and made it home without useing the spare. (I carry a compressor and a home made tire plug kit)

I wouldn't go without a spare and jack ever. Unless you plan on having a flat at 12:00 high noon right in front of a big wholesale tire place that has a clearance sale on the exact same size and brand tire you are running so they can match it up if they can't plug it.

Just my opinion and experience.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #66
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasUser View Post

I wouldn't go without a spare and jack ever. Unless you plan on having a flat at 12:00 high noon right in front of a big wholesale tire place that has a clearance sale on the exact same size and brand tire you are running so they can match it up if they can't plug it.

Just my opinion and experience.
exactly, its always at night or crappy weather. or its ungodly hot your melting standing on the pavement.

also carry a foot square of 3/4" plywood as in the summer the asphalt can get hot enough that the little 4x6 inch square the jack base is can sink into the pavement... happened to my dad back in the 70's with one of those pole jacks
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #67
Registered Member

this thread is getting too long. someone needs to create a poll and be done w/ posts!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #68
Registered Member

I have had two cases of puncture in the past. Each time, I used the jack and the hand tools to put a spare tire on. Now I will not drive without them.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #69
Site Team / Moderator

A square of plywood is a very good idea. My sister once called me. She was driving her husband's pickup when she got a hole in a tire. I drove out to help her, the flat was on the left side of the truck, and she was on the left side of the road in the median strip. The jack kept squishing down into the soft dirt. I had to wait until traffic cleared, and I drove the truck to the opposite shoulder of the highway so I could place the jack on the shoulder of the road instead of in the grass.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #70
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
exactly, its always at night or crappy weather. or its ungodly hot your melting standing on the pavement.

also carry a foot square of 3/4" plywood as in the summer the asphalt can get hot enough that the little 4x6 inch square the jack base is can sink into the pavement... happened to my dad back in the 70's with one of those pole jacks
Yup, and I also carry 2 pieces of 2x12 - each are one foot long - left over from steps I built to use as a base for the jack. If I want more lift, I can double them up.