Question about having no spare tire+jack (Now with a poll!) - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Remove spare tire & jack? What equipment should be on board? Check all that apply.
Keep spare & jack 14 87.50%
Remove spare & jack 2 12.50%
Use run-flat tires 2 12.50%
Keep a 12v air compressor in the car 9 56.25%
Keep a can of Fix-A-Flat in the car 6 37.50%
Keep a tire plug kit in the car 9 56.25%
Call roadside assistance (AAA, etc.) 6 37.50%
Call friend or family member 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #71
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasUser View Post
Yup, and I also carry 2 pieces of 2x12 - each are one foot long - left over from steps I built to use as a base for the jack. If I want more lift, I can double them up.
That's far better than plywood. The only thing better than that is two pieces of LVL/Micro-Lam. It's thicker and can't split along a grain-line like regular dimensional lumber.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
this thread is getting too long. someone needs to create a poll and be done w/ posts!
Ha ha... it seems like everybody is arguing for the same side too.

That comment on the pieces of wood is a good one too. I may need to throw a piece in my trunk.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:47 AM   #73
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
run flats aren't that heavy cause you can only get self-supporting-sidewall runflats in low-profile sizes.
I've handled plenty of run-flats, and they are very heavy. Especially the ones for minivans and the like.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:57 AM   #74
Site Team / Moderator

There were many good ideas in this thread. I just added a poll with many of the suggestions. Feel free to vote for as many of the options you feel apply.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:20 AM   #75

I love multiple choice.
almightybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #76
Site Team / Moderator

I see you voted for both options. In your own vehicle, do you have the spare, or is it removed?

-Jay

Old 02-20-2009, 02:16 AM   #77

Haha! A serious question for a questionably unserious response.
The only time I don't have a spare is when I'm using it. I've never been without. Only racing do I see a reason for removing it.

I have it there. I've toasted a sidewall before (3 times), so having the spare was nice. I like to buy tires in sets of 5 if I can, and try to rotate all 5. Not always possible though. I do however have a spare in the trunk of the car, with a fullsize tire (no wheel) also for those distance trips. Should I lose a tire, I use the spare till I can get the rim/tire combo swapped to the fullsize. Continue trip. Doesn't leave me hanging or needing to buy a tire out of desperation. The truck just has 5 fullsizes, although I wish it wasn't a steelie. Looks ugly compared to the alloys.

Carrying a spare is the best option. You don't rely upon a 3rd member or a "miracle" fix tool. Popped beads are not fixed with fix-a-flat (but wd-40 works ). Plug kits can fail, although I'd trust them further than fix-a-flat. Air compressors do what? air it back up after it's plugged. You can't have plugs or a can without a compressor. Tires don't magically air up after the hole is plugged. Even then, I'd still feel like I'm on "borrowed" time till the temp fix fails. AAA costs money. Is the cost in gas savings or cost of a 5th fullsize tire less than AAA? Yes if you have a low flat rate (hah! That was funny). Friends and family aren't always available, leaving you waiting.

Anyways, I've given my piece as to why I feel only a real spare tire can save you. It's saved me at least 4 times I can think of, one was a sweet near wreck where the front end swung around and ripped the tire to shreds and pulled it off the rim. Was pretty gnarly. good thing I had a fullsize spare with me! I was 10 miles from town up a quiet mountain road with 4 passengers and no phone coverage. Not ideal.

/whatever it was I was saying.
almightybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #78
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by almightybmw View Post
Popped beads are not fixed with fix-a-flat (but wd-40 works ).
That is definitely one of the coolest automotive tricks I've seen on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hJFNuNoVfg
Old 02-20-2009, 05:23 AM   #79
Site Team / Moderator

That is a nifty trick. I'll have to remember that. Does that mean I now have to keep a can of starting fluid and a grill lighter with my jack?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #80
Registered Member

I've seen at least 3 different videos of it, one that was shown to me by the person who actually did it.

I wonder if it will work on deformed lawn tractor tires that refuse to seat no matter what tools I use? I usually spend forever trying to do it with a ratcheting belt tie-down...