Question about having no spare tire+jack (Now with a poll!) - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Remove spare tire & jack? What equipment should be on board? Check all that apply.
Keep spare & jack 14 87.50%
Remove spare & jack 2 12.50%
Use run-flat tires 2 12.50%
Keep a 12v air compressor in the car 9 56.25%
Keep a can of Fix-A-Flat in the car 6 37.50%
Keep a tire plug kit in the car 9 56.25%
Call roadside assistance (AAA, etc.) 6 37.50%
Call friend or family member 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #21
Site Team / Moderator

I've never had a state inspector check my spare, I don't think I even have a spare in the Buick right now, because the spare dry rotted and I took it out.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
I noticed that one thing that people do in order to save weight is getting rid of the spare tire and jack, just having a roadside assistance plan instead. There is one thing though, how can the road side assistance do their job unless you don't provide them a spare tire and jack to work with? Do they bring their own tire? Do you pay for that tire? How does this all work? I feel like people have overlooked this scenario and think they're set when they're really not.
Some of these tactic to save gas is just overboard. Losing your spare tire and jack is a no no. Never take your spare tire and jack out just to lose a few pounds to save gas. Those are some of the most important things you need in your car. I also don't understand those peoples that trun their engine off when stopping at a stop light or crusing down hill.

GasSavers_viperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:42 AM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
With the weight you'd save for the spare tire and jack, you'd be better off removing your passenger and (if applicable) rear seats. You're not in a bind if you get a flat and you get extra weight savings.

I have a spare tire and a pretty good portable air compressor along with a plug kit. There are some things I just won't do for gas mileage, and this is one that's definately not worth it to me.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:27 AM   #24
Site Team / Moderator

For about a month I was turning off The Beast when stopped @ traffic lights. I got about a 10% gain in mileage, but it was a real PITA... Plus, I quit all of my "extreme" methods after I paid $1,000 for transmission service.

-Jay

Old 02-09-2009, 05:01 AM   #25

Taking out the spare and jack is the same kind of short-sightedness that leads other people to mash the gas to the next stoplight and then mash the brakes...only opposite.

It may seem like the thing to do, but thinking it through to the end brings me to a whole 'nother end point. Being broke down on the side of the road and vulnerable isn't my cup of tea.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Incredible View Post
Taking out the spare and jack is the same kind of short-sightedness that leads other people to mash the gas to the next stoplight and then mash the brakes...only opposite.

It may seem like the thing to do, but thinking it through to the end brings me to a whole 'nother end point. Being broke down on the side of the road and vulnerable isn't my cup of tea.
yea not to mention in the big scheme of things you aren't saving anyone gas because either A someone you know has to come brign you stuff or pick you up run home and get stuff then run back to your car or B you have to have a towtruck, etc come get you.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #27
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
see this is what you do, you get married, then if you blow a flat you call your wife and tell her to bring the spare and jack to you.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:54 AM   #28
Site Team / Moderator

But then you're gonna hear for the next week how heavy and dirty the tire and jack were, and it got the back seat of her car all messed up, and then you have to spend an entire Sunday afternoon shampooing the carpets in her car...

Old 02-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #29
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Yeah, I'd never be able to convince my wife to bring me the jack and spare. A certain other type of jacking, maybe...
Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #30
Registered Member

I was looking at a new Cadillac parked in front of Costco a couple weeks ago. According to the window sticker, in lieu of a spare tire and jack, they gave what amounted to a can of fix-a-flat. Left me scratching my head a bit...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote