Question about having no spare tire+jack (Now with a poll!) - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Remove spare tire & jack? What equipment should be on board? Check all that apply.
Keep spare & jack 14 87.50%
Remove spare & jack 2 12.50%
Use run-flat tires 2 12.50%
Keep a 12v air compressor in the car 9 56.25%
Keep a can of Fix-A-Flat in the car 6 37.50%
Keep a tire plug kit in the car 9 56.25%
Call roadside assistance (AAA, etc.) 6 37.50%
Call friend or family member 4 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 AM   #41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
Run-flat tires are HEAVY. In fact I bet they are so heavy, that the extra weight of those tires is the same as just running normal tires and carrying a spare...

-BC
The only difference is that normal tires + spare means less unsprung weight than heavier tires and no spare tire.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:09 AM   #42
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc455 View Post
Run-flat tires are HEAVY. In fact I bet they are so heavy, that the extra weight of those tires is the same as just running normal tires and carrying a spare...

-BC
In addition to the weight, I bet they have awfully high rolling resistance.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #43
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
First off, no, it has absolutely no effect on FE.

Secondly, almost no one who has a spare tire in their trunk keeps it inflated. That spare is useless to you unless it has 60 psi of air pressure in it. When it's low, it looks exactly the same as when it's not. When's the last time you checked yours?

Thirdly, you're better off carrying a battery jumper / air compressor "rescue pack". If for no other reason that to help someone else out. It's better than jumper cables in that you don't damage your own vehicle in the process.
1) Sorry but not so. According to research done by BMW the spare / jack / wheel bolt tool consumes slightly less than 1 litre / 100 km to carry about.
The cost saving for the car makers is also an incentive to no longer supply one and give you a 1300 number to ring (for which they will also charge you by the way) or a couple of cans of "flat fixer".

2)Why do you need the spare tyre inflated to 60 psi? I checked mine Sunday by the way.

3) An air compressor is useless if the tyre is damaged to the point it will not hold air. Personally I carry a spare and use the compressor in the garage.

Pete.
GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:05 AM   #44
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
2)Why do you need the spare tyre inflated to 60 psi? I checked mine Sunday by the way.
That's for compact "donut" spares. Full-size spares should be inflated to more normal pressures.

Tire load capacity is (mostly) determined by volume and pressure of air. If volume goes down, pressure must go up to carry the same load. Check any load-inflation chart to confirm that.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #45
Registered Member

I think it's dumb to exchange the spare for roadside service. There is absolutely NO way that the pennies you may save from the weight reduction will cover the tens of dollars that it costs per month to be a member of a roadside service. Secondly, if the roadside service is AAA, it's worthless anyway. When my gf's car broke down it took over 90 minutes for the tow truck guy to get there. A cop stopped after about 80 minutes and said that if he wasn't there in 10 minutes, he'd call one for us (of course he got there about 9:50 later). He also said that this length of wait time was very common for roadside service companies, and if we were ever in a busy area to just call the police because they can and will get a tow truck there within 10 minutes.

Also, I was also one of those tire guys who hated the fix-a-flat spray stuff. It made things 10 times more messy and take 10 times longer to actually find the leak and fix it because you had to wash all that crap out of the tire, then remount it to find the hole if it wasn't obvious. Then take it back off, fix it, etc....

And those run flat tires are stiff as heck and VERY hard to mount. Our technicians had to go to special training for it so that they'd know how to mount them without ruining the rims because it's very easy to scratch rims with stiff or small sidewalls.
KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:47 AM   #46
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
He meant that she'd complain about your spare tire dirtying her car when she brings it to you because you left it at home.
i know. im not going to spell out the joke...
Old 02-12-2009, 05:05 AM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
i know. im not going to spell out the joke...
Here's the photo on my driver's license:
Old 02-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #48
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
haha yea what i meant was, if the wife wants to complain about the spare getting her car dirty then tell her to walk with the spare to drop it off.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #49
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
Ironically I had a flat today that my plug kit and compressor couldn't take care of. I do have AAA - but sitting for who knows how long right next to 70 mph semis is not my cup of tea.

Doughnut got me to the shop where they took care of it for free. Just food for thought

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:32 AM   #50
Registered Member

What kind of flat coulnd't be fixed by a plug kit and a compressor, but could be fixed for free at a shop?