Question for CRX HF owners - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question for CRX HF owners

I am considering purchasing a 91 CRX HF 5 speed. I know on the highway they can get close to 50 MPG. My commute is only about 10 miles. I drive about 3 miles city and 7 miles interstate traffic. Most of my other driving is city driving.

Does anyone know what kind of MPG an HF get's in mostly city driving?

The car I have now get's about 22 MPG with my current driving. It's a 98 cavalier. I probably don't drive enough to justify buying a 1991 car with no ac and some rust, but I think it would be nice to have a car that get's 45 MPG in city driving. I could always add AC later from junk yard parts.

Any other advice appreciated. I have also considered the insight, but I would have to spend $8000 more to get one if I could find one that is...

simply_peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #2
Registered Member

why is your cavalier getting such bad mileage. when I first got mine, I was getting 30 easy. I am now averaging 35 or so. it isn't 45 but still it isn't 22 either.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Not sure. I typically only drive in town and it's automatic. I have been running 87 octane. Maybe with Premium it would do better.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
Registered Member

It's also the z24 so that might make a difference.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have heard that some of the auto trans' are 3-speeds and not 4. mine is a 4. and you have the 2.4 liter where as I have the 2.2 liter. probably tuned for power too since it is one of the Z series.

probably pretty fast when you need it to be as well. mine is pretty slow but 40 miles a day, I will take slow and steady.

given this new info, maybe a honda is the way to go for you. you may still be able to get the mileage up some but maybe not to where I am because of the bigger motor and the sport tuning (Z series stuff).

Old 06-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

You can see what kind of mileage I am getting with mine. I have a 120 mile daily commute and i'm using basic techniques, no EOC. On the other end of the spectrum you can see what happens to the gas mileage on a 93 LX when you swap it to a B16A. 4.9 to 1 final drive sure is hard on MPG, but it's a blast to drive.

friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yeah it definately has more power than I thought it would. I picked it up from a friend who was getting a new car so I really just got it because the price was right. I had a TDI before, but was spending more on the loan than I was saving in diesel so I sold it and downsized to this cavalier. I just don't drive enough to really save money with a high mpg car.

I am starting to think maybe I should just settle on 98 or 99 civic hx instead of the older crx. But I am still impressed with the crx mileage.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Registered Member

My commute is about 80% fwy and 20% city. You can see from my gas log I'm getting about 42mpg. This is probably because I'm driving too fast, but I think you'd have to really be gentile on the gas pedal to get 45mpg with all city driving in an HF. I would think low 40s would be realistic.
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
Registered Member

another consideration with your mileage. not sure if it is 10 miles 1 way or per day. you may be better off just keeping the cav and saving the money that you would spend on this other car that you are talking about getting. I have struggled with that myself.

If I get another car, I can get 5 mpg better but it will cost me 2-3-4k to buy the car. I ask myself if it is worth it. so far the answer has been no. that may or may not be the case for you. it is still something to think about.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:28 AM   #10
Registered Member

That's kind of where I am at. Maybe I could just buy a scangauge and watch my MPG and see what I can do with what I have.