Question from first Time Newbie with 1998 Camry LE 2.2L 4cyl - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question from first Time Newbie with 1998 Camry LE 2.2L 4cyl

Guys, this is a GREAT forum. Now you guys have me wanting to do all sorts if stuff so I can juice as many miles out of my car. I already try to do a few things like pick up speed DOWN a hill in hopes that I'll use next to no gas to get to the top of a hill and kicking my AUTOMATIC tranny into neutral when Im approaching a light, but I never thought that there'd be a group of folks dedicated to this kinda stuff. This is GREAT.

Anyway, I have a few questions for you EXPERTS out there. Does anyone know how much super vs regular gas helps. And if so it is enough to justify the extra 8% surcharge (based on about $3.25/3.50 for reg/prem) for premium. I currently user super but have been thinking about changing to regular. I put CRAZY miles on this car and need it to last so I put in super and havent really tested the difference between super/regular yet.

Also, have any of you heard of K&N air filters. Its a more pricey reusable filter that should pay for itself in three air filter changes (about $15-20 for a disposable vs $50 for a reusable K&N). I figure that Id prob clean every 5000 miles vs changing every 15,000 miles so it would on average always be cleaner than a disposable filter as well, cause it would be the equivalent to changing every 5000 miles.

Any SIMPLE ideas would be appreciated. Im going to try adding extra air to tires and removing weight from car to see how much help i can get. Right now Im close to 29 mpg for an estimated 25/75 city/highway split.

Thanks guys. This site is great

GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
*shrug*

I wouldn't use anything higher than regular unleaded, if your car wasn't built for it, don't use it!

Some people use K&N filters, but whether or not they help is debatable.

Your best bet with all the highway would be some aero mods.

Welcome to the site!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
Agreed, to both points. There's really no proven benefit to running super instead of regular...just watch out for engine "pinging" and other signs of detonation. Run a tank or two of regular, see what happens.

K&N Filters, IMO, are great just because of the wash/reuse factor. Over the course of 50K miles they will pay for themselves....Just don't forget to clean it, and don't over-oil it. I personally use cone filters, of a K&N knock-off brand....(same filter, 50% less cost).

You can *try* and see an improvement from removing weight...but from what I've seen, it's both very difficult and not worth a lot of effort. Try getting a scangauge or something that will allow you to watch real-time MPG figures....and adjust your driving accordingly.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Registered Member

Whats is aero mod, where can I get these K&N knockoffs??

[QUOTE=SVOboy;55020]I wouldn't use anything higher than regular unleaded, if your car wasn't built for it, don't use it!
Your best bet with all the highway would be some aero mods.

Just don't forget to clean it, and don't over-oil it. I personally use cone filters, of a K&N knock-off brand....(same filter, 50% less cost).QUOTE]

Thanks for advise. Im switching to regular, I'll let you know results.
What are aero mods, sounds like something you install for better air drag. How involved is this?
As far as weight is concerned, I was talking about excess weight (all the crap in the trunk). I was about to bite the bullet and change to a K&N filter, but now you're telling me about cone filters. Is that the brand name, "cone filters". Where can I look this up. Id love to switch to a $25 washable. Is is just as good as the K&N version or a cheap knock-off?

Oh yeah, you 'OIL' washable filters??? I must REALLY be a newbie. I guess I would have figured that out in the directions that came with the filter, assuming I even read them

Stanley
Old 06-04-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
*shrug*

Cone filers are the name for a type of filter:

Don't worry about being a newbie, we all have been.

Check out the aerodynamics forum for better advice on aero mods than I can give you,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Raccoonjoe Send a message via MSN to Raccoonjoe Send a message via Yahoo to Raccoonjoe
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....ghlight=intake

has some photos of an after-market cold-air intake setup (or try eBay). Don't ask me whether it's better to run cold air or warm air intakes, cones or stock.....I've not done this from the hyper-miler point of view yet. If you've got *basic* questions about the filters, "Why use cone over stock??" "how/when do I take care of this??", try asking at a local Autozone/parts place. Most of those folks know what they're talking about, and can give you basic info pretty reliably.

And by all means, get rid of the extra junk in the trunk/backseat. Some folks go crazy....taking out back/passenger seats, stereo, spare tires/jack/coolant, etc....Personally, I just have to remember to take out my toolbox at the end of the day =P
Old 06-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
Stay true to the Game!

I purchased a K&N filter but returned it. I've read that these type of cotton gauze filters dont' do as good of a job as regular paper, but do allow more air, thus increasing gas mileage. I ended buying an Amsoil EAA Air Filter. These filters require no oiling only vacumming to clean. They are guaranteed for 4 years or 100,000 miles and require a cleaning every 25,000.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #8
Registered Member

I had a 95 Celica GT 5 speed with the same 5SFE 2.2L motor, it likes to rev high so it's important with that auto to moderate speed on the highway.

I picked up a 2-3 mpg when I went with a new intake setup on my celica, it was an iceman that I don't think they make anymore, but even a basic K&N cone filter would be better for efficiency of your airflow and its worth it as you can clean it, I run one in the camaro as well.

Adding more air to the tires for less rolling resistance will improve some as well.

GasSavers_PyroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:57 PM   #9
Registered Member

oooo, Im working and almost forgot to mention, I tried a fair amount of testing with 93 vs 87 in the celica with no advantage to premium.

GasSavers_PyroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:49 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZ28 View Post
oooo, Im working and almost forgot to mention, I tried a fair amount of testing with 93 vs 87 in the celica with no advantage to premium.
Good, then Im switching to regular. Eventually I'll run a comparison over a week and see if there is difference in may car. I drive over 700 miles weekly so I should be able to get quick results.
Anyone know where I can get reasonably priced air intake for 98 Camry 4 cyl. Im going to check out Ebay. I already went to ProCarParts.com and they want $170. Thats just too much for my taste. Its just freaking metal and plastics as far as Im concerned. It would take a while to recoupe that much money in gas. Id rather just get K&N stock filter for my car which would make up cost in three air filter changes and thats not including the FE savings