Questions and comments... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

Questions and comments...

I have a couple questions for you guys but first my comments ...some of you guys are doing some CRAZY things for fuel mileage ...now I'm just trying to figure out how far I'm going to go..

1) I have the factory "wing" on my Civic (pic below). I'm sort of indifferent about it but I'm for leaving it on because of the 5 holes that would be left in the trunk lid. In your opinions, would I see a considerable mileage increase from removing it? What about the side window vent visors (sunroof visor has been removed).

2) I have two sets of wheels. The winter set consisting of the stock 15" alloys with 195/60's (IIRC). Two have snow tires and two have all-season tires. My summer tires on HEAVY (relative to the 15's) 17's with 215/45's. Some of you are going to want to punch me in the face when you hear this but I'm losing anywhere from 15-25% fuel mileage with them...and that's relative to my winter fuel mileage...so, I'm considering running the "winter set."...would I be ignorant in running the snow tires but keeping them in the rear? Or will they be too soft? (I'm assuming so )

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. My other FE mods are being dropped about 1.6" (very surprised at how much that is helping), running 35% or darker on ALL windows (obviously, less A/C demand), and am working on an exhaust (not sure if it's going to help but figured I'd give it a try).

awenthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:33 AM   #2
Registered Member

I think running the stock alloys is a no-brainer with that 15-20% improvement.

Something else to think about, in addition to wearing out *much* quicker than all-season tires, snows cost you FE due to the stickier compound.

You may want to do some quick math and see how much $$ that 15-20% is going to save you. You may be able to buy two more all-season tires and pay for them in a short time with the gas savings alone. Especially because having all-seasons on all four corners on the 15" alloys should boost that 15-20% a bit higher even.

Think inside the Box!
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The wing probably isn't too much of a penalty. If you remove it, you could bondo the holes and red Plasti-Dip might match the color pretty well and be easy to smooth the holes. Look for DIY writeups for removing front license plate mounts and filling the holes, those are common and you'll have the same work to do.

Your vent visors and sunroof visor probably help reduce the A/C demand more in some situations. I personally wouldn't worry about them much.

All-season tires on the 15" rims are most likely going to beat any of your existing tires, but considering the purchase price you might be better off wearing out your existing tires first. OTOH, 15" tires can be had pretty cheaply.

I've got a couple links in my sig about tires.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Look for DIY writeups for removing front license plate mounts and filling the holes, those are common and you'll have the same work to do.
Front license plate is MIA...though it's probably costing more than it's worth (no front plate = $60+ in IA). There are no holes, either. FWIW, pic of front.

Quote:
Your vent visors and sunroof visor probably help reduce the A/C demand more in some situations. I personally wouldn't worry about them much.
Kind of what I was thinking...not to mention it looks wrong without the sunroof visor...

Quote:
All-season tires on the 15" rims are most likely going to beat any of your existing tires, but considering the purchase price you might be better off wearing out your existing tires first. OTOH, 15" tires can be had pretty cheaply.
This is where I guess I need to pencil it out. I JUST bought new tires for the 17s (maybe 3k miles)...at this point I don't think it's feasable to buy 15's, especailly since the "rears" would also need to be replaced.

My biggest question was the visors/wing, so thanks for the info on that!
awenthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by awenthol View Post
Front license plate is MIA...though it's probably costing more than it's worth (no front plate = $60+ in IA). There are no holes, either. FWIW, pic of front.
Just to be clear, my point was that DIY writeups about front plate delete tell you how to fill screw holes in painted surfaces, info you could then apply to removing the spoiler if you want.