quick buying advice needed on CRX HF - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2007, 04:15 AM   #1
Supporting Member

quick buying advice needed on CRX HF

I am going to look at this CRX HF today. Comes from Texas and has 145.000 miles on it. Judiging from the pictures it is virtually rust free. I owned a CRX VTEC while living in the Netherlands and my wife had a CRX there as well and I really like these CRX's. Do you think I'd be crazy to give my VX up and go for a CRX HF? Could I expect mpg's that are about the same?

Also, what should I pay attention to while looking at this CRX?

I will be leaving here around noon, so any advice before than would be greatly appreciated!

McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Check the usual Honda stuff: for rust on the underbody, condition of motor, plugs, wires, cap etc. Basically test drive it and if you're happy with it, get it. You know your VX will sell on here. You can get 50MPG out of an HF easily, but if you want to, swap in a VX motor down the road.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

That's a pretty clean HF. In addition to what TomO said, check the CV boots condition to see if you may need to replace the axles right away.

From what I've seen here, direct comparisons between the HF and the VX, the VX would probably get a little better FE and have more power, but an HF can get pretty good FE on its own.
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
*shrug*

The EPA rates the HF better and you always have the option of throwing the vx engine in the hf, so I would say go for it, unless you need the extra cargo capacity at all.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:01 AM   #5
Supporting Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Putting VX engine in there down the road sounds pretty good as well. Someone on here did that and I haven'ts een any ictures on the end result but in his garage entry I saw he is doing like 85 mpg, but then I do believe he has taken extra stuff of the car to make it even more light weight. Haven't really seen enough to judge well how much trouble it is to put a VX engine on a CRX HF. I have to take into account that I would have to have someone do it for me since I am (technically) unable to do it myself.

An extra motivation for me for buying an HF is that I want my wife to drive it to work during the week so most of our miles are driven with an economic car and for some reason she doesn't like the VX. She does like s CRX's so at least she'd take this to work (I work from home).

Thanks again and I will post some more pics later on.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #6
Registered Member

Considering you're trying to please your wife, our opinions just went out the window. I guess you're getting the HF.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
Supporting Member

On the contrary. If there would have been anything in your opinion that would have made a case against the HF I would have kept on driving the VX. It does look like everyone agrees that this is a good option to get a good mileage as well. And I do like CRX's myself as well
And anyways, I will have to see if the CRX is technically as good as it looks of course (as far as I can tell).
Old 09-28-2007, 08:17 AM   #8
Registered Member

Well if you wife has a semi lead foot, you can tell her that it will be slower then the VX. 62hp fora 88-89 HF, 70hp for the 90-91, and I think the VX has 90HP.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
Supporting Member

Well, with the numbers I have been getting with the VX my wife is definitely getting interested in driving carefully herself. I will still be driving it on longer trips I sometimes make on the weekends 9which is regularly lately), but I just want all the miles we make as a family to be as economic and 'green' as possible. So instead of letting my wife drive a Buick Le Sabre, she got for free from family, to work I figure I would rather have that sit in the parking lot here and take it on the short trip me and our 2 year old make from time to time when I cannot use my bike. That thing gets like 26 mpg on average.
I'm sure she won't be getting the mileage I will, but it cannot be 26 mpg I'd say...
Ok, gonna go on the 3.5 hour trip to take a look at it.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
What doesn't she like about the VX? If it's the loud cabin noise, the lack of power steering or the great handling, then she isn't gonna like the CRX either. Has she driven a CRX or does she just like the look of it?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote