Radiator Blocking for Winter Conditions - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Well, if it catches fire that'd help the warmup some!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I can see it helping with fuel economy, but I think there's more risk than it just catching fire from being hot. I'm not exactly sure what but I won't be trying it.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
Registered Member

Just throw some fiberglass batting over the engine if you want more insulation.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
Registered Member

Aren't your thermostats operational?
I've had t-stats that were stuck open. In those situations restricting the air flow through the rad worked because restricting the coolant flow through the rad wasn't working.

I can see a hot water tank blanket or foil lined fiberglass as an engine blanket to limit the block's surface area from acting to radiate heat, but blocking the air through the rad??? Fix the t-stat!
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Aren't your thermostats operational?
I've had t-stats that were stuck open. In those situations restricting the air flow through the rad worked because restricting the coolant flow through the rad wasn't working.

I can see a hot water tank blanket or foil lined fiberglass as an engine blanket to limit the block's surface area from acting to radiate heat, but blocking the air through the rad??? Fix the t-stat!
I had a GM Service Manager jump all over me for blocking air flow.
Told me something along the lines of; the engineers are pretty good at what they do and that they know their product will be driven in winter and design accordingly and they even test them in all conditions........
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:26 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Auto manufacturers' engineers are some of the best in the world; those companies have the budget, prestige, pervasiveness, and benefits required to attract them. It can be tough to out-engineer them at home.

However, we have different priorities. Things we do like this are customizing, not necessarily better engineering, just reconfiguring for the way we use our vehicles. They have to build a vehicle that can operate everywhere from the Arctic Circle to Death Valley, whether the driver is a wannabe race car driver, a soccer mom, or a hypermiler. They have to do it on the smallest possible budget and make it look more attractive to the general public than the competition's vehicle looks. There are plenty of other priorities that they have and we don't, but I don't need to list them all...
Old 09-17-2009, 03:48 AM   #17
Registered Member

many on here and other places have said that a good portion of the grill area is for cosmetic reasons.

even the volt has a non-functional grill. they put it on there because that is what the consumer expects a car to look like.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:07 AM   #18
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Especially on trucks. A big grille makes it look "tough" Take my truck for example. I calculated that I have nearly 6 square feet of grille area on the front of my truck. The engine is a Chevy small block 350. The same engine that was put in the Caprice and the Roadmaster. The cars with the same engine had a signifigantly smaller grille. If that engine needed that much cooling then the cars would need a grille just as big.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:22 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Remember that under normal operating conditions that engine works harder in the truck than it does in the cars They don't upgrade the radiator from a dual and triple core in the trucks from the single cores in the cars for nothing. I've got a decently sized grille and if you stand in front of the D when the engine is nice and toasty when it's revved to even 2k your shirt gets sucked to the front. Lugging up a hill for an hour I'm sure the big grille is appreciated by the engine.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:29 PM   #20
Registered Member

Thanks for the interesting discussion. I think I'll go with my radiator 95% blocked for the winter. That will leave a 1 inch gap at the very top of the core. I saw coroplast mentioned. I'm not familiar with this product. Can some one enlighten me?
Also, just as an FYI. I've heard but have yet to substantiate that my trucks radiatior is the same size as what is used with V8 engines. Is there anyone that can provide further info?

GasSavers_goldie is offline   Reply With Quote