rebuilding D15Z1 1.5L Civic VX engine...what to change?? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2008, 05:09 AM   #11
Registered Member

Can I put a VX engine into my 89 Honda Civic Wagon

I just bought this car and it is still in pretty good shape to be a keeper. The 1.5 engine with auto trans has 160,000 on it now. What do I need to know on how to go about doing it if it is possible? Where would be a good place to look to pick up a VX engine?

ecogenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:25 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Shaving the head enough to get a significant gain in compression causes problems ie cam timing, hitting the water jacket. The best way to increase compression is with aftermarket pistons. If it requires you to run premium I still think it's a good deal. The extra power is desperately needed. You wont need as much throttle to get up steep hills. Besides; if you never give it full throttle, you're not going to get knock anyway.

Honda increased compression from the Z1 to the Y5.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
Well, my experience with Honda engines is in 100% favor of TomO's recommendation. I have several engines I have done exactly what he described and from my experience it has just greatly extended the engine life, increased the oil pressure and worked great.

I did rings, rod bearings, main bearings, valve guides, new oil pump and new gaskets. I honed the piston walls and reused the original pistons. It doesn't seem to use any oil and runs fine.
I just reringed my motor. No honing. I didn't check the cylinder walls for wear. I know I should have but at the time I was 18 and it was only my second time in a motor. My car was taking a quart of oil every 200 miles. After reringing it it takes no oil. Still to this day after 65000 miles it takes little to no oil.

civic lover is offline   Reply With Quote