Recommendations on a Metro Vert - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Recommendations on a Metro Vert

Hey all, I've been lurking the forums for a while. I was planning on picking up a 2000ish sprint/clone, and doing the major fuel efficiency mods. However I came across this,

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...4&pgno=1&srt=1

5k seems excessive to me, it's a 92 with 200k kms. It better be in awesome shape. I'm going to look at it on monday. I'm just looking for opinions on what what you guys think is a reasonable offer, and if there's anything specific to these cars I should watch out for.

I know it's an auto, a five speed swap is my first planned mod. I was planning on getting a 3 cyl with a 5 speed originally, and swapping in the 4 cyl 5 speed. What complications might I be looking at here going from an auto to a standard?

Thanks for your help,
Rob

DrRoboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
QDM
Registered Member

Main thing to look out for is rust, particularly on the front A arm supports. Once they rust out it's junk yard time. I don't know what would be involved in doing the transmission swap but I've read about people doing it. Do a search on the Teamswift website.

Q (93 1.3L 5spd Swift)

QDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

Welcome to the site.

The link didn't work for me...? Can you post the relevant info?

$5k does seem pretty excessive though.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
$5k for a 15 year old car that you need to do an engine swap on? I've missed buying honda insights with 200,000 miles that sold for close to that, no geo with the worng engine/tranny is worth that, not even in mint condition.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
Registered Member

My Metro has 118,000 miles on it and is a 93 model (I think). It didn't cost a penny. Check out your local salvage yards and see if you can make a steal there. The one I drive now didn't even need any work done to it besides a battery to get it running.

atomicradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
Registered Member

Oh! It's a convertible model. Yeah they're in high demand in Canada. Actually all metros are now getting pricey as gas creeps towards $5 a gallon.
Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Registered Member

Oh yeah Peakster, I also noticed there are two verts for sale in Regina! Two out of the four or five for sale in Canada including the one I'm looking at. You wouldn't be selling them would you? Trying to drive up the price? lol

For those who the link doesn't work,

Options : Air Conditioning, Bucket Seats, Driver Air Bag, Power Steering, Removeable-Roof

Description : A perfect summer car.

Year: 1992
Make: GEO
Model: METRO METRO LSI/SPRINT CL VIN: JG1MR336XNK207458
Stock Number: 06 Mileage: 182,500
Engine : 1.0L Body : Convertible
Transmission : Automatic Cylinder : 3
Fuel : Gas Drive : FWD
Doors : 2 Passenger : 4
Exterior Color : Blue
Type : Convertible
Attached Images

DrRoboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
Registered Member

Man I should have kept mine! Sold it 3 years ago with less than 100,000 on it new top for $900. Remember if your going for FE the verts the worst Geo you can buy, even if it's a manual. Weight, FD ratio, poor aero, A/C and geo's don't get along, and they had the largest tire foot print. Lastly they were the worst for rust. Look it over and under very carefully! Now if you want a cool car for fun OK but 5 tho? I'd keep looking

If you have to have it, find a second donor car. You will have to have the manual plus the pedals wiring harness ECM. Autos don't use the same harness for backup lights, ect. Check to see if the cam, dist. are the same also. Lots of cars have engine diff. between autos and manuals. You can get by with some things but to optimize FE you should try to do all the changes the factory did.
minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:33 AM   #9
Registered Member

I agree with minic6: You can find one for much less than that, and don't settle for the automatic transmission if you're interested in fuel economy - you'll only be disappointed.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote