Replacing parts with lighter parts to save weight? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2008, 04:15 AM   #31
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The same safety argument comes into play for those here who go from a heavy modern car to a 1992 Civic VX or Geo Metro...it's just not a high priority for a lot of folks here. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #32
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Actually the HX has a better drag coefficient due to it gradually coming together towards the trunk opposed to the VX. The VX would be more like an SUV in the sense of drag.
Nonsense. Do you have any specs to back this up? The HX was made into a coupe for the same reason that they added power steering and all the other luxuries. Not for mileage, but to sell the car.

Calling a VX an SUV... those are fighting words.

Quote:
Naw, I think you've got the most ideal setup. Reasoning is that you've only got 1.5L block opposed to the 1.6L block. A larger cylinder means that much more fuel, unless you can get it to learn out even more than with the smaller block.
The 1.5 and 1.6 blocks are exactly the same block. The D16Y8, D16Y5, and my D15Z7 have the same block. Same part number. Same "size".

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
Nonsense. Do you have any specs to back this up? The HX was made into a coupe for the same reason that they added power steering and all the other luxuries. Not for mileage, but to sell the car.

The 1.5 and 1.6 blocks are exactly the same block. The D16Y8, D16Y5, and my D15Z7 have the same block. Same part number. Same "size".
How can they physically be the same block yet be called two different things? The only way you could have a 1.6L is to have enough volume to BE 1.6 Litres. I wouldn't be surprised if they bored out a 1.5L block to make it into a 1.6L just like when they made the 1.7L block for the 2001+ models. Why else would they be called D series engines unless they made huge overhauls for each incremental increase in litres for the block?

The civic coupe is going to be far more aerodynamic in the rear than the civic hatchback. The civic hatchbacks drop off far too steep, like an SUV which is why I made that comparison. http://www.gearlog.com/2008/02/modde..._honda_civ.php
What that guy did made the CRX far more aerodynamic because of what he did to the rear, not so much to the front. I was very surprised to read that most of the drag a vehicle has occurs towards the rear of the vehicle but if you learn about fluid dynamics, it'd probably make sense. I believe it's mostly attributed to creating a negative pressure behind the vehicle, so when you have sort of a diffuser, that is when you can significantly improve aerodynamics.

Maybe the VX hatchback has additional aerodynamic features that aren't visble in order to make it more aerodynamic than the coupes. Though if everything is the same aside from chassis shape, the Civic Coupe should be more aerodynamic.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post

I thought they had different bores.. 84.5mm vs 90mm if i recall. same stroke. they are interchangeable but a bit different in sleeve thickness i think.

mini-e is offline   Reply With Quote