Rev match - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
I ment auto trannys. Anyone do with there autos. ive gotten so good at it that passingers cant tell that ever took it out of gear unless they watch me do it.
I'll bet it's still fine... Viscous coupling or not -- minimizing relative velocities is always good Overshooting, however, could be more dangerous in an auto.

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedrover View Post
pat you don't rev match an auto...lol
Mr. Drover...

If you coast in Neutral and place it back into D, you rev-match -- so yup, you can with an auto.

All-

In other news, I rev-match the 'Teg to just about 500-750 RPM under expected final engagement. The engine's momentum with some throttle input allows a smooth match, then the TC thumps-in (at appropriate speeds).

The worst situation is to over-rev and bomb it. It's easier on it to clunk than slip.

RH77

Old 10-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Mr. Drover...

If you coast in Neutral and place it back into D, you rev-match -- so yup, you can with an auto.

All-

In other news, I rev-match the 'Teg to just about 500-750 RPM under expected final engagement. The engine's momentum with some throttle input allows a smooth match, then the TC thumps-in (at appropriate speeds).

The worst situation is to over-rev and bomb it. It's easier on it to clunk than slip.

RH77
Well yeah you CAN on an auto but there isn't much a of point in it since the torque converter takes care of most of it, you'd be rev matching from idle to like 1800 RPMS.
pushycruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
why would anyone want an auto tranny to last longer???
Cost - Benefit Ratio. But yeah, good question. Not sure how long mine will last, but I'll be excited to swap a manual in there.

But during the service, the cost and time when it's out of commission isn't really a pleasant thought. Still looking at a daily driver here...

RH77
Old 10-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #15
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
you didnt have to respond i was just being a wiener.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #16
Registered Member

Have you seen my baseball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
you didnt have to respond i was just being a wiener.
I know, it's all good I was responding to a line of serious threads at the time and kept it rolling -- plus I miss driving a stick...

Due to that, I generally feel the need to verbalize the admission that I'm not "intentionally trashing the transmission" to get a 5-speed. EOC may shorten the life, which is OK, but I haven't seen any failures, first hand, to stop the practice.

The only manual I've driven in the last year was in a '55 Chevy with a Hurst "Rock-Crusher" 4-speed. It was fun, but I'll admit that I'm a bit rusty. I miss having a daily driver with a stick. It's a shame they don't rent cars here with the manual -- I'd have one every week.

RH77
Old 10-04-2007, 09:24 PM   #17
Supporting Member

I kinda forgot about this thread. I want to know for sure that rev matching when switching back form N to D is ok to do on the auto tranny. When i go 59mph its 2500 rpm exactly. If i switch it from N to D without revving it up to 2500 it is alot harder lurch if i rev up it lurch very very little and most people cant tell i even changed out of drive.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #18
Registered Member

I usually rev match after a restart with my AT by catching the rev jump right after startup.

It basically comes down to how soon I engage D after starting. At highway speeds, I'll dump it in D right after the engine catches. If I'm stopped or moving slowly, I'll wait for the revs to come down so I don't N-bomb it.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #19
Registered Member

I don't rev match on my slushbox. It may suck gas and induce mental illness in trying to boost the mileage to any real degree but the thing goes from N to D like butter.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
I kinda forgot about this thread. I want to know for sure that rev matching when switching back form N to D is ok to do on the auto tranny. When i go 59mph its 2500 rpm exactly. If i switch it from N to D without revving it up to 2500 it is alot harder lurch if i rev up it lurch very very little and most people cant tell i even changed out of drive.
Yeah I really don't understand what you are trying to do Pat. If you are giving it 0% throttle the torque converter should allow it to coast in drive at about 12-1500 RPM's, which shouldn't lurch at all.

pushycruze is offline   Reply With Quote