Richmond Va. Anyone interested in building a micro car? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

Richmond Va. Anyone interested in building a micro car?

Wondering if there are any resourceful folks in the Richmond Va area interested in building a micro car. Maybe something to compete in the one gallon challenge next year? Or just to build and drive for the fun of it.

Minicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #2
Registered Member

I wish! Richford, VT is as close as I can get to Richmond, VA, alas. Good luck.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Maximillion. I need all the luck I can I guess. I can't imagine I am the only person in this area that would want such a thing, but I could be wrong. I am trying to locate usable parts now. I could use a "junk" car if the front suspension was in good order. Having good glass, seats, and brakes would be helpful also. Or perhaps usable scooter parts. The search is on!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Registered Member

What are the laws there like for that sort of thing?

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

I think it depends. If I make it three wheels, it would technically be a "motorcycle", and whichever bike parts I use for the back end I could register it as a modified version of that. If I make it four wheels, I would guess it register as a custom. More than likely it'll be three wheels though.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

Contact me through a PM. I live in Williamsburg and have accumulated some interesting stuff. Also worked as a mechanic for 30 years.

45 miles east of Richmond, one of my daughters lives there.

regards
gary
Old 09-11-2009, 03:44 AM   #7
Registered Member

You might find some useful parts here...
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6970_291701+93

Lot of the stuff is for "go-karts" but some of the heavier duty bits and pieces might work well in a bubble car thing.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks RW. I've been thumbing through their catalog. Might be able to use some of their parts, although I think my best bet is to salvage as many parts off an existing auto that someone is just trying to get rid of. I want to start with front suspension parts, as it will most likely dictate the design of the frame/body. For example, Mac Struts vs double wishbone. I can use either, but I would need the parts first to figure out where mounting points would need to be, and bracing.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Registered Member

Laws here are if its 3 wheels its a motorcycle.

The Karmann Ghia is a 1971 model and that means its can be registered as an antique.

If antique status is used no state inspections are required.

No emissions regulations of any kind on anything older than 1973 here even if it's not registered as antique. Antique plates are premanent and no city tags are required but driving is supposed to be very restricted.

Mini, we could meet most any time, if you are still interested in the offer of a trade.

regards
gary