riding on 1st gear saving gas? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

riding on 1st gear saving gas?

where i live, its about 100 yards every block with a stop sign, 1 way 1 lane roads. when I start up my car, it shoots to about 1700 rpm (warming up), and i usually (when theres no cars in sight) I gas a bit, then put it in 1st gear and let the engine warm up+move the car. I can get enough energy to shift to 2nd gear without gassing it, gets me to about 15 mph.

does doing that save more gas compared to if i just gas it on 1st, and coast it in N while the engine is warming up? or does it save more gas since the enigne is warming up, i just use that high rpm to propel the car (it usually drops to 1300 rpm from 1700, then climb its way back up when car is moving a bit faster)

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
Registered Member

I would look into why it is idleing so high, that is higher than normal.

Silver00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:25 AM   #3
Supporting Member

I'd start in second gear if the terrain allowed.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver00 View Post
I would look into why it is idleing so high, that is higher than normal.
When very cold my car will idle @ 2300 rpm momentarily
Old 03-24-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
Registered Member

When my car is very cold, it doesnt' start haha.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
My car idles at 2000 when I first start it when it's cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civic94
where i live, its about 100 yards every block with a stop sign, 1 way 1 lane roads. when I start up my car, it shoots to about 1700 rpm (warming up), and i usually (when theres no cars in sight) I gas a bit, then put it in 1st gear and let the engine warm up+move the car. I can get enough energy to shift to 2nd gear without gassing it, gets me to about 15 mph.

does doing that save more gas compared to if i just gas it on 1st, and coast it in N while the engine is warming up? or does it save more gas since the enigne is warming up, i just use that high rpm to propel the car (it usually drops to 1300 rpm from 1700, then climb its way back up when car is moving a bit faster)
You're driving on flat, right? In my car, when the engine is cold, it pushes the car pretty good when you put it in 1st gear and don't press the gas. It will push the car to about 1500rpm. Then I can just plop it into 2nd gear without touching the gas, and let it push again. When I'm in your situation, I just let the cold engine do all the pushing trying to get the engine warm. If I get up to 15 or 20mph I can plop into 3rd. Does that make sense? If you put it in neutral, then you are having the higher RPM. I don't have a Supermid so I can't say whether or not this method uses less gas, but for me it's hard to imagine it doesn't.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
My car idles at 2000 when I first start it when it's cold.

You're driving on flat, right? In my car, when the engine is cold, it pushes the car pretty good when you put it in 1st gear and don't press the gas. It will push the car to about 1500rpm. Then I can just plop it into 2nd gear without touching the gas, and let it push again. When I'm in your situation, I just let the cold engine do all the pushing trying to get the engine warm. If I get up to 15 or 20mph I can plop into 3rd. Does that make sense? If you put it in neutral, then you are having the higher RPM. I don't have a Supermid so I can't say whether or not this method uses less gas, but for me it's hard to imagine it doesn't.

i'm doing exactly what you described, just a better description on your part i guess. the only thing that i do extra is gas a tiny bit to engage to 1st from the parking spot so the engine wont die out.

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote