Running a WAI through the wringer - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #31

I had no idea it was going to be so difficult to get hot air into my WAI. I agree, there must be a lot of ambient air currents swirling around inside my engine compartment, and a heat shield is going to be a necessary next step.

I am running lower grill blocks on my xB. I like the turkey pan idea to seal off the exhaust manifold area. l'm in Las Vegas for the weekend, so further mods to my WAI experiment will have to wait until next week.

Right now, I'm thinking of buying a couple of Marie Callender's pies to chop up the pie pans. They're strong enough so I could cut fingers in them to stick into the exhaust manifold's heat shield. Maybe I can overlap two of them at right angles to seal off the manifold area, and cover them and the valve cover with the turkey pan, cutting a hole in it for my WAI to enter this hot chamber.

FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:50 AM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
Right now, I'm thinking of buying a couple of Marie Callender's pies to chop up the pie pans.
And a great excuse to blow off your new year resolution and scarf down a couple pies.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #33
Registered Member

Nice quote in the sig Fuel Miser.

Parmesan Chicken Pot Pie from Marie Callender is my favorite but the ones I buy don't come in a foil pan, just this paper type stuff, like what you microwave a Hot-Pocket in.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #34
Registered Member

I have only a grill block, my airfilter intake is in the front of the engine.
My exhaustmanifold is at the rear of the engine/intake manifold in front of engine.
Result of grill block: AIT raised with approx 5 to 20?C, without changing anything else. So if I can give you an advise, it's just the same as some others here: start with a grill block if you want a raise in AIT.
AIT goes even to a steady 35-40?C (99?F) when the radiator temp is high (meaning after 20 to 30 min).
This is because the high radiator temp heats up the engine bay. It's a WAI for free on top of the aerodynamic advantage and faster warm up thanks to the grill block.
I wish you good luck with it !
i-DSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #35
Banned

sentra guy buy a saturn off of craigslist for 200$ and register it for a week
spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #36

I modified my WAI today, so it will only draw warm air that's crossed over my exhaust manifold.

Next photo shows how my WAI sat loosely above my Scion's exhaust manifold, prior to modification. Results of testing showed no significant mileage increase, and no significant intake air temperature increase from the loose WAI.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #37

Here's my WAI after modification. I used tin snips to cut a finger that slips into the exhaust manifold heat shield. I reshaped the end of the WAI to loosely fit the contour of the heat shield, and folded fingers out to seal some of the hole in the heat shield. Following photo shows the WAI looking from the left side of the engine bay.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #38

And here's a view of the modified, tighter sealing WAI as seen from the right side of the engine bay.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #39

I haven't done the requisite ABA retesting yet. That will happen the next dry day we get. I think tomorrow's forecast is 40% or 50% chance of rain, so there's about a 50% chance I'll do the testing tomorrow.

As always, suggestions will be appreciated. If this modified WAI doesn't produce some noticeable mpg improvement, I'm prepared to say WAIs are mouse milk. If it does work, I'll be the newest convert to the WAI believer camp.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #40
Lean Burn Mode

Major Kudos on your testing!!!

On my setup I didn't notice any gains until I get over 150*F IAT with 188* IAT being the best for fuel atomization. At 188*F I see around a -9% taken away from the injector pulse width with out a loss in power.

So on my car it was worth a 4mpg increase.

I don't think you can make any major gains with a WAI on a modern factory ecu due to the ignition air maps reducing timing? So this will be interesting to see the outcome.

Good Luck!!!