Saturn SL2 mods fopr mpg - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2006, 08:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

Saturn SL2 mods fopr mpg

I'm new to the site. Referred by the "Saturnalia" forum.

I know it's not a typical tuner car like Honda, Acura, etc., but thought I'd post what I have, current results, what I've done and future, inexpensive mods.

Car: 2000 Saturn SL2, 5 spd., 86,000 miles. bought 2 months ago for $1900. Have $2500 invested total so far (including cruise control listed below).

Current mpg: 33 (75% highway, 25% city, occasional pedal to the floor for passing), Pre 4-wheel align and Pre-tune-up. 4-wheel align done 2 days ago and replaced plugs and wires last night in prep for 800 mile trip this weekend. Will post results after.

Tires: stock size, 90% tread, Fuzion HRI's, 44 psi

Future mods:
1. Front air dam removal - Free
2. Toying with Warm Air Intake for economy, Cold Air Intake ($36 on e-bay, bought, but not installed yet) for performance, using valve to switch - $100 estimate.
3. Seafoam treatment to intake and fuel - $7
4. Aftermarket cruise control install - $150 for unit + $190 install. = $340
5. ?Homemade front and rear wheel air deflectors? - don't know yet ($100?)

Total = near $550.

Any other suggestions are welcome.
The goal is 40 to 45 mpg highway without changing my gear ratios in the tranny.

Let's see (sarcasm): If I wax the body and apply Rain-X to the windows, that should make the car more slippery, right?

Take Care

saturnsl2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:15 AM   #2
*shrug*

Nice car! That should like quite a deal you got on it.

Since you're mostly highway, I think you'll benefit most from aerodynamics modifications, though driving habits are always the biggest thing.

What kinda speeds do you travel at?

Also, don't forget to fill out the site's gaslog and garage, helps use watch as you improve,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnsl2man

Let's see (sarcasm): If I wax the body and apply Rain-X to the windows, that should make the car more slippery, right?

Take Care
Welcome. Glad your here. Be sure and give us a update when you get back from your road trip.

Just wax the windsheild and all the glass. Works like a champ. My wipers stick way out in the airstream so I waxed the window and removed them. Been in rain several times and it works great.

As SVOboy stated Aero mods will help a lot there's a sticky on the Forums with busted and confirmed mods you can look at. Another Saturn driver has had success with heated intake. Speed kills the FE on the highway.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

Welcome!

I installed aftermarket cruise on my car when I got it, but now I tend to use it pretty rarely.

The thing about cruise control... as your driving improves (depending on how far down the fuel efficiency rabbit hole you fall), you may actually find yourself using it less and less. A smart foot will beat cruise control any day, with no appreciable average speed difference.

I pretty much only use it on perfectly level roads. (Or if I'm feeling lazy.)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
*shrug*

I've heard so much about rain-x and removing wipers, but I'm so paranoid, where's the water go!?!?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I've heard so much about rain-x and removing wipers, but I'm so paranoid, where's the water go!?!?
Gravity pulls is down your windshield to the drain.

I have a bottle of rainX that I bought 10-15 years ago but haven't used yet. Does anyone know if it has a shelf life?

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
*shrug*

But doesn't it still obscure your view?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
Registered Member

I've used rain-x with good results, but I wouldn't actually remove the wipers. At any reasonable speed, the wind blows the droplets up and over the windshield. You can see quite well becuse the rest of the windshield is effectively dry and the droplets move fairly fast. The only irritating part is a tendency for it to haze for a few seconds if you do use the windshield wipers to clear condensation or to clear washer fluid. But if you have it you may as well give it a shot.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #9
*shrug*

Interesante, t'would be interesting to do this on the rear and remove my rear wiper. The rear never catch any rain besides at a stop/really slow speeds anyway, and also, it was the difference between the hf and the dx/si in terms of Cd (.29 versus .30).
Old 08-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #10
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Interesante, t'would be interesting to do this on the rear and remove my rear wiper. The rear never catch any rain besides at a stop/really slow speeds anyway, and also, it was the difference between the hf and the dx/si in terms of Cd (.29 versus .30).
This is exactly what Insight drivers do... they use rainx and remove the rear wiper.

Anyway, to the original poster, welcome tothe site. There are a few Saturn drivers on GasSavers already, so you're in good company. I was actually surpised to discover how great of fuel economy Saturns have had from the very beginning. It's proof that US-made automobiles CAN have great mileage as well.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote