Scan Gage II vs UltraGauge EM - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #11

Re: Scan Gage II vs UltraGauge EM

You could buy 2 SGIIs, or 4 UG EMs for $300. I've saved over $2500 in fuel for my two main drivers compared to 2008 EPA over 50,000 miles. That's $500/year I saved.

Add 4800 miles in rental cars, and 10,000 miles in my wife's cars at ~40 mpg, and that's serious dinero.

FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #12
Registered Member

you get what you pay for...SGII is a superior product made in the US i believe...the UG is cheaper and made in china i believe.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #13

Made in America doesn't justify a 100% price premium. If you want to keep America prospering, you could arguably buy an UG and give $70 to the next wino you see. That money will go to American farmers and wineries, etc.

The SG handicaps you with inaccurate readouts (I've watched its mpg readout drop from 21 mpg to 13 mpg at a stoplight with the engine off!), a limited 4 gauge ugly display, and the double price over the UG.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
Registered Member

didn't make a reference to USA alone premiums.

actually your boycott of exxon and bp is much more shallow. you (think) you're punishing the big, bad, irresponsible oil tycoons...well that's not the whole story.

the SG is much more user friendly and versatile.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
didn't make a reference to USA alone premiums.

actually your boycott of exxon and bp is much more shallow. you (think) you're punishing the big, bad, irresponsible oil tycoons...well that's not the whole story.

the SG is much more user friendly and versatile.
Where does the SG buyer get double the value over the UG buyer, i.e. get what he pays for?

UG sees 43 gauges for my car, v. SG's 18. SG users have to tediously program individual xgauges in hexadecimal bytes (taking perhaps 15-30 minutes apiece to program) to get additional gauges, if the coding data are available, and if (and it's a big "if") the car supports them.

UG displays 6 gauges on a screen (7, counting open/closed loop), and allows me to cycle through 3 screens (18 gauges), while SG displays just 4 gauges. In order to change an SG displayed gauge, I have to cycle through the 18 available gauges and any xgauges for each display choice.

That doesn't meet my definition of user friendly.

As for Exxon and BP, I said nothing about punishing them. I simply choose not to do business with criminal enterprises.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

I agree about the issue with destination of money; inefficiency does not serve the economy any better than sending some money overseas. I also agree that the UG is a far better value and has some distinct advantages over the SGII.

In past threads we've listed those advantages and disadvantages and probably don't need to review.

Here's one I hadn't checked in the past, though: UG can't provide transmission temperature on my 2002 GMC Sierra, as far as I can tell. SGII can with a few minutes of programming an XGauge from the provided example list. That's a big deal for me and if I was in the market now I'd seriously consider the SGII for that advantage alone...otherwise I'd still have to spend that money to get trans temp, which is important to me.